1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New Stove Smells?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jeanjo, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanjo

jeanjo New Member

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Hi all!

We found this forum really helpful when we were researching and shopping for our new wood pellet stove. We ended up with a Harman P61. I tried a search for our topic but didn't find anything that seemed similar to our situation. We had it professionally installed and did our first start up last night and then restarted it again this morning. Is there normally a new burn-off period and smell? When we started it last night it filled the house with a creosote-like smell that lingered throughout the night. We restarted it again this morning and got pretty much the same thing. Is this normal or will it go away after it burns for a while? I hope so, it isn't a smell we really want to live with. We have 5.5 ft. of inside rise on our pipe and a horizontal cap outside. We followed the Harman start-up directions and can't find any leaks. Is this just normal start-up odor and if so, how long do we have to use it before the smell goes away? Appreciate any insights & info.!! Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    new paint burn in will happen everytime the stove hits a new high temp....
    run it hot with the windows open now and you wont smell it this winter.....
  3. R&D Guy

R&D Guy New Member

Agreed, it's normal and part of the paint's curing process.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's common for a new stove to smoke a bit as it bakes in the paint and burns off the factory oils. This is a good time to keep a window open while burning. However, if you continue to smell smoke after the first few burns, it's not normal and the exhaust venting system needs close re-examination.
  5. jeanjo

jeanjo New Member

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Thanks for the info. We did what was recommended and burned it hot w/windows open last night for about 2 hours and thought it was much improved. As soon as we closed it down and shut our windows we got the odor again. We are going to look at modifying the venting outside the house. Right now we come straight out the wall (5.5 ft. rise inside the house) and our horizontal cap does not clear our roof overhang. Could this be the problem? Should we add a 90 degree (would clear the roof line) and extend up for several feet and then cap outside the house? Again, appreciate your help! Thanks.
  6. cncpro

cncpro New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut, USA
    I think you just need to give it more time.

My Quad was really smelly and even setting off smoke detectors the first day...

Now with approximately 4 hours of burn time on the unit it is noticeably improved (just barely detect paint smell when running) and I expect that after a week of full-time use it will be no problem at all...

The only way I would re-do anything on the chimney was if I found a leak somewhere...
  7. High Altitude

High Altitude New Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    I agree with this.

I have about 6-8 hours on my new castile and I am still smelling it some. It is getting less and less each time but it is still there. I had a small leak at one of the elbows that would leak a little smoke at start up but I sealed it with high temp RTV and I haven't noticed any more leaking. Even so I still get a very, very light smell of smoke at startup that clears right up once the flame gets going. I believe it is coming from the front of the stove and has more to do with the openings from the airwash and the cleaning rods for the heat transfer tubes. I am not getting any smoke leaking from the venting so I am guessing this is it.

We are having a little bit of colder weather than usual so it's actually a good time to experiment with it. So far so good. We will see how it does when the real cold weather shows up later this year.
  8. JBlank912

JBlank912 New Member

Loc:
    NW NJ
    Do all of the stoves take this long to get the paint smell out? I am having a Lopi Yankee installed in a couple of weeks, my wife has the most sensitive nose ever, and if the smell goes on for hours I know I'll never hear the end of it.
  9. firewarrior820

firewarrior820 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    auburn maine

you should be 24 inches away or more from any overhang, the termination cap that is
  10. cncpro

cncpro New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut, USA
    It shouldn't stink much if you don't light it. Hope this helps. ;-P . Just kiddin'... But in all seriousness... You better plan on sealing off that room and having some fans in the window...

Or...

Some have said that they set them up outside and run them good and hot to get rid of the smell before ever bringing it inside... Maybe this would work for you ? I would've done it myself if I had read about that idea sooner...
  11. jeanjo

jeanjo New Member

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Thanks, we're not, so we'll need to change that. We have now operated our stove for a total of about 4 hours and the odor may be showing some signs of improving but our overhang situation may be a contributing factor. Thanks again for your help!
  12. cncpro

cncpro New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut, USA
    This is from Harman's P68 manual... I couldn't find one online for the P61 so you'll have to check your manual for the specifics but I would guess they're similar to this one...

13. jeanjo

jeanjo New Member

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Thanks, we have the manual and sure enough, it says the same thing. I guess we relied too heavily on our "professional" installer.
  14. cncpro

cncpro New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut, USA
    What do you actually have for clearance ?
  15. Alan

Alan Member

Loc:
    Northern California
    Check for very slight smoke leaks at the elbows. Stick your nose at the joints, particularly at startup & look for a smell. Duravent elbows are AWFUL & leak, particularly with the high pressure exhaust from the Harmon stoves.
  16. jeanjo

jeanjo New Member

Loc:
    South Central WI
    I assume your asking about outside clearance? I didn't measure, but based on the standard piping my guess is we have 18" plus the cap. We are planning on going out another 12" and then up 3 feet plus the cap.

Alan, thanks for the tip on the the joints, etc. We'll do the sniff test the next time we start it up.
  17. srjtr7

srjtr7 Member

Loc:
    Near Boston
    My stove smelled for 6 months eveytime I ran it for a few hours.

I finnaly oppened the windows and ran it on hign for 20-24 hours and then the smell never came back.

I was getting rally upset that it stunk until I did that.

Run it hot for awhile.....if it smells like smoke then you might have a leak.

It should smell like metal/paint burning.

Good luck.
  18. imacman

imacman Guest

I agree w/ CNCPRO above....run the stove outdoors on high for as long as you think it takes to get rid of the burn-off smell.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.