1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New use for slabs and a little R&R

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Locust Post, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    View attachment 69010 Wife and I slipped away for a few days last week to Berlin,OH (commonly know around here as Amish Country). We spotted these beauties at a farm market so I had to make one for the little woman when I got home. Sure glad I hadn't chopped up my slabs yet. amish 1 003.jpg amish 1 004.jpg

We found this nice little cottage to stay at for a couple days. Sure was a nice get away and will likely go back some time. amish 1 008.jpg amish 1 009.jpg

Here's a few other shots for fun. Lots of little shops around (antiques,crafts,of course some Amish hardware's with non electric goods,great food and several stove shops. amish 1 005.jpg amish 1 006.jpg amish 1 007.jpg
    Our buggy ride amish 1 002.jpg
    tfdchief and fishingpol like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Great pics, we have had a great influx of Amish in our area. We have had some very bad accidents with buggys and cars/trucks though.
  3. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Great pics. The horses are rather impressive in size...holy crap. Excellent shot of your buggy ride. Could be a book or movie cover.
  4. Locust Post

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Draft horses......The black one you could ride but I think just around in a circle so I passed.
  5. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    A local farm has draft horses that draw wagon rides in the fall. I asked the driver why the horses were not skittish around cars. She said the team was purchased from the Amish and weren't concerned about cars as there weren't any around them when they were raised.
  6. Locust Post

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Even the normal horses that most use for their carts do not seem to care much about cars. I think they just get used to them. We toured an amish farm on this trip and learned a few things about their lifestyle and way of life that we did not know. It was not a farm that they live at it was just for that particular purpose with a guide to show you and explain things about normal amish life. It was quite interesting.
  7. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    We have Amish Country here in IL. Arthur IL to be exact. Lots of great people.
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    In the Fall my wife and I often feed some of the apple drops to my Amish neighbor's horses (and yes, I asked if he minded or not first . . . and I give them first dibs if they want the apples on the trees to make cider.)
  9. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Nice...Glad you had a good time!
  10. Crane Stoves

Crane Stoves Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Duxbury, MA.
    nothing like enjoying a designer inground pool like that while getting in touch with the old country :p LOL.
    great pics, its nice to see others discoveries and good times :)