new wood stove burner and thermometer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badbowtie

Oct 10, 2011
Indiana
I am using a drolet Savanah wood stove with a double wall pipe on the top and picked up a thermometer and it says on the package to stick on single wall pipe or cooking surface. I called them and they said to place it on the double wall pipe and it will read 100 degress low on that pipe but I think it is more. If I place it on the pipe and the stove is burning with a nice solid bed of coals it is only reading about 125. If I place it directly to the top plate of my stove it reads 325 and that is the hottest I can even get it to read. I am burning dry wood oak and some is locust it has been all cut and split and stacked for about 3 years. I am not sure if I am even getting the right readings any place. Here is the links to the stove and the links to the thermometer I have.

Stove
http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/savannah

Thermometer
http://www.tractorsupply.com/rutland-reg-magnetic-stove-thermometer-3198420

an external thermometer on double wall isn't much of an indicator.

Use it on the hottest spot you can find on the stove top.

For me, that's about the center.

Even if you don't have it in the exact hottest spot, that's OK. It will still work as a comparative tool to judge one fire by the next.

If your glass is staying pretty clean (minus some white soot) and your chimney and cap are staying in good shape, then you are doing fine by not burning too cool.

pen

My glass is clean and my cap seems to not have build up on it and I pulled the tee cap off yesterday and was not even enough there to fill half a pop can and that is with burning about a half a cord this year.

Sounds like you are doing okay badbowtie. Most new burners would get much more junk from their chimneys than what you got. Just keep checking it monthly and clean as necessary. And you are to be complimented on having 3 year old oak and locust to burn. That's about the right amount of time for oak for sure. It is one of the best woods to burn and one of the hardest woods to get dry enough for a good burn.

badbowtie said:
I am using a drolet Savanah wood stove with a double wall pipe on the top and picked up a thermometer and it says on the package to stick on single wall pipe or cooking surface. I called them and they said to place it on the double wall pipe and it will read 100 degress low on that pipe but I think it is more. If I place it on the pipe and the stove is burning with a nice solid bed of coals it is only reading about 125. If I place it directly to the top plate of my stove it reads 325 and that is the hottest I can even get it to read. I am burning dry wood oak and some is locust it has been all cut and split and stacked for about 3 years. I am not sure if I am even getting the right readings any place. Here is the links to the stove and the links to the thermometer I have.

Stove
http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/savannah

Thermometer
http://www.tractorsupply.com/rutland-reg-magnetic-stove-thermometer-3198420

Lies, lies, and damn lies. For dub pipe you need a probe.

From the amount of creosote it sounds like you're doing something right . . . I would take Shawney and Pen's advice . . . if the Drolet model does not specify a specific spot for the stove top thermometer I would play around and see if you can find the hottest spot on the stove and place the magnetic thermo there . . . and if you want a thermo for the flue (which I find quite handy) you would want to get a probe style thermo for the double wall pipe.

I have a condar probe thermometer that should be here tomorrow. I have a vertical 24" pipe double wall sticking straight up the top of the stove. With a dampner in the pipe in the middle of it. Were should I put the probe thermometer above it or below it.

Well I emailed drolet tech and they are telling me I should not of even put a dampner in the pipe not really giving me a reason but I guess If that is the case I will just leave it wide open all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.