New Woodstock stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I got the okay to post something about the upcoming new stove from Woodstock. Here is part of the information. Quotes are used when I use direct quotes from Woodstock:

Woodstock wants this new stove to be introduced and ready for the next burning season, that is, by next fall. Yet, they do not want to rush this thing into production and they do not have a definite date nor will they set one. Best to make sure the stove is right first.

"It takes a while to develop a stove from it's initial thought to a production model."

No specifications as of yet other than they are shooting for 65,000-70,000 btu output. I like what they said, "It's not that we are trying to hide any thing, we just don't have numbers ready just yet as the test model, which is still in a steel state, is still being fired to get the final emission numbers, etc. Most of those come when a semi-production model goes to the certified test lab in OR."

The final design, that is the outside of the stove has not yet been designed but a team is in place so they will no doubt make it pretty.

"We are really excited about it. It's something new to sell and in the test lab when the steel version is fired up, the amount of heat generating off this stove is incredible."

Now here is an exciting thing (to me at least and my wife is already drooling over it). One of the options that will be available will be an upper warming oven!

Like they have said, there is no date set for completion of this project but I am betting it will be ready about August or September (I hope.)

For those who are wanting more information, as information becomes available it will be posted on the woodstock web page.

Woodstock web page link

If we get other information we'll post it here or if anyone sees information on the web page, please post so all will know about it. Thanks.

Oh yes, for the new people, I do not work for Woodstock and am not connected with them except for being a very satisfied customer. They are some good people up there.

Great news! Did they tell you anymore info on the combustion system? I know they are working on some kind of cat/non cat hybrid. The oven will be a big hit imo, it may even persuade my wife into a new stove. :cheese:

Nothing there Todd. I tend to think this will be a cat stove but don't know. My wife is also drooling over the posiblity of an oven.

I cringe at the oven because this must mean a rear flue exit. My oven works fine.

They have the thing mocked up in steel, surely they know if it will be top or rear vented.

Thanks for the update Dennis.

I'd love to have an oven on mine - depending on the inside dimensions of the oven of course. I've wanted to bake with my stove but just haven't found time to rig something to put on top of it. Sure my electric oven works fine but there just would be something nice about walking over to the stove and baking in it. Since I tend to fire up the stove about half an hour before the wife makes biscuits in the morning for the kids I imagine it would be about perfect timing... oh well, she already said no to replacing the Fireview... then again she didn't say yes to replacing the old stove the first time I brought it up either....

I want the steel prototype when they get done with it. :cheese:

I'm just hoping for a stove about the size of a Mansfield with much longer burns and no increase in clearances.

When I first heard about this I was thinking that I might want to trade up. Since then, I have figured out how to get a little more out of my Fireview. I am still curious.

I think Woodstock should have a contest- whoever comes up with the best name for the new stove gets a free one. I would call it FIREKING.

Flatbedford said:
When I first heard about this I was thinking that I might want to trade up. Since then, I have figured out how to get a little more out of my Fireview. I am still curious.

I know how you feel. Over the last 5 years with my Fireview I've made insulation improvements, new windows, caulking and dryer wood so the stove is meeting my heating needs just fine, but once that new stove shows up I'm sure I'll be drooling and one of the first in line to buy one.

fire_man said:
I think Woodstock should have a contest- whoever comes up with the best name for the new stove gets a free one. I would call it FIREKING.

I'm rather hoping for Firetopia myself...

Slow1 said:
fire_man said:

I'm rather hoping for Firetopia myself...

How about Firerock?

I wouldn't be surprised is it looks like a much bigger version of the Keystone.

Oh, mama! I was just about to post a thread about how I love my Fireview but wish I could have something bigger for my big old house, and how I just didn't know if anything else would meet my expectations for efficiency, etc!

This is it, baby! Oh why couldn't they have introduced this last year? Do you suppose they would honor my 6-month return period and still sell me the bigger one? ; )

Should the title of this thread be changed? I thought it referred to someone's new stove.
Also, those Altech fireplaces from 'across the pond' are like knock-offs!! Holy smokes, the design of the traditional series are straight from Hearthstone and Woodstock!!! Look at the doors and names.

S

thinkxingu said:
Should the title of this thread be changed? I thought it referred to someone's new stove.
Also, those Altech fireplaces from 'across the pond' are like knock-offs!! Holy smokes, the design of the traditional series are straight from Hearthstone and Woodstock!!! Look at the doors and names.

S

I don't think they are knock-offs. I would bet they have some sort of reseller agreement with Woodstock, because, if you notice, there are no modifications to those stoves. The Hearthstone models they show are older models no longer in production. So they either bought/leased the rights or something like that from Hearthstone.

I have read somewhere here that Woodstock licensed Altech to produce their stoves in Europe. I think it may even have been one of the guys from Woodstock that said it. Anybody else remember?

Flatbedford said:
I have read somewhere here that Woodstock licensed Altech to produce their stoves in Europe. I think it may even have been one of the guys from Woodstock that said it. Anybody else remember?

Yep, I remember that. I think they ship all the parts to them and they are assembled and sold over there.

I'm aimin' for that new stove, too! Ron said they were shootin' for about a 3.0 cf firebox and I hope it's that and maybe a bit more! My house is proving too large for the FV. By the time it gets up to temp and the area is beginning to warm nicely, the stove temp starts to go down. It appears that the FV just cannot sustain the high temps for long enough to produce enough warming for the open area (about 2000 sf on the main level). It seems to be simply a matter of time of sustained heating versus the area to be heated. This issue would be solved by the larger stove capacity in my case. The FV is hanging on the bottom edge of the range. I think if they kept the basic design of the FV and made it 4" deeper and 8" wider, from a purely operational standpoint, that would do it for my heating capacity issues. And now that I know there is 4.5" of concrete underneath that tile floor, I don't even care how much it weighs! :lol:

If any of you FV experts would like to pass on some techniques for getting top performance out of the FV, I'm all for it. I'd really like to give it a fair test, if I knew how. I know I can drive the temp well into the red region on the thermometer, but that doesn't necessarily equate to efficiency, but I CAN do it if I need to. Max efficiency versus area to heat is my goal.

Thanks for the info, Dennis!!

BTW, I think they should call it the "Texas" stove--for obvious reasons!

Terry, I am really surprised that the Fireview is too small. It simply has to be the wood but I know you do not have access to any really hard stuff like oaks. On that idea, have you ever burned a live oak? I've wondered how they would be.

But because that wood is so dry it sounds to me as if the wood will burn super hot (those 800 degree temps you got) but not long. To be honest I've never timed to see how long we can stay above 600 but I know it is several hours. Then when the weather is like it is now (32 degrees) we get roasted out if not careful. I've been sweating almost all of today. It was my fault though because I did not put any wood in when I got up this morning and the wife overslept. When she got up, she put wood in....too much wood. But back to your situation, it has to be the wood but we have to burn what we have.

Backwoods Savage said:
Terry, I am really surprised that the Fireview is too small. It simply has to be the wood but I know you do not have access to any really hard stuff like oaks. On that idea, have you ever burned a live oak? I've wondered how they would be.

But because that wood is so dry it sounds to me as if the wood will burn super hot (those 800 degree temps you got) but not long. To be honest I've never timed to see how long we can stay above 600 but I know it is several hours. Then when the weather is like it is now (32 degrees) we get roasted out if not careful. I've been sweating almost all of today. It was my fault though because I did not put any wood in when I got up this morning and the wife overslept. When she got up, she put wood in....too much wood. But back to your situation, it has to be the wood but we have to burn what we have.

I'm not just burnin' cedar. I've got tons of pallet hardwoods that I've burned 1/2 & 1/2 with the cedar, 100% pallet wood, etc. Unless there are some methods to burning that I don't yet know, it appears to simply be a matter of capacity of the firebox versus the space to be heated. I might be wrong on this, but so far, haven't discovered where my errors are.

Status
Not open for further replies.