Newb Chimney Extension Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scratchindirt

Sep 14, 2012
This is probably a dumb question but...here goes. I recently installed a small insert and used a flexible 6" liner in the factory built chimney. I used an adaptor like this at the top to support the liner.

http://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-14940.html

The chimney is only a little over 9' in height and I'd like to add a few more feet to that. What parts do I need to add chimney to the adaptor I have now? Thanks for your help.

What kind of factory built chimney did you start with? A pic or two of the top especially might help.

pen

The chimney I started with is like this one.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/chi...standard-double-wall-chimney-pipe-48-8dm.html

I ran insulated 6" flex liner from the stove to the top of the chimney, used the adaptor that I linked to in my earlier post to support the liner, and put a cap on. The insert works great but I'm sure I could benefit from a taller stack. Since it's in the corner of a doublewide home, the chimney is barely over 9' tall.

I'm just wondering if there is some kind of adaptor to join the flex liner to a piece of class A chimney so that I can get some more height. I assume I will need to keep the factory built liner adaptor since it supports the liner and covers the 12" outer pipe on the original chimney. If so, I'll need to connect to the top of it somehow.

Sorry for the crazy question. I'm new at this and over 1.5 hours from the nearest stove store or I would go there and ask. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow of what I have now. All I have now is a pic of the stove.:)

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 103
I'm not sure about using class A. Splicing on a piece of 6" stainless single-wall should work.

Thanks for the reply. I'll get a piece of single wall and give it a try. The stove works well but is a little sluggish at times. With only 9' of chimney, I'm sure it could benefit from a little more draft. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.