Newb with a Osburn 2400 insert, couple of install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deranged

Oct 18, 2011
United States
New guy in northwestern Ohio, I've been browsing the site, trying to read up and absorb as much as I can so far. The questions are at the bottom, so if you wanted to skip the history..

First, a little history, originally from Northern MI, grew up loading wood into my parents Vermont Castings insert, grew up, moved etc, wound up in Traverse City with a house that had a little Jotul stove, managed to heat the whole house with that for the one winter that we lived there.

Anywho, fast forward a couple of years, bought a house, had a Buck Stove 26000 insert in the fireplace in the basement, and an open basically decoration only fireplace on the first floor. So initially I planned on using the Buck Stove, knowing that the fire box was tiny and that I would have to load it frequently and it may not put out enough heat to be worth the hassle, since it was in the basement. Knowing that it needed a good cleaning, I pulled it out, to find that it was a slammer install.

So, the plan was to get a stainless liner, and adapt to the ancient Buck Stove and get by for a while until I could afford a new insert. Meanwhile in my wishing and dreaming of a new insert that would burn all night, and put out enough heat to possibly make the upstairs warm, I had stumbled upon the Osburn 2400 insert, and had decided that was what I wanted. Now I just needed to save up and get one.

Knowing that I wanted and Osburn, I searched a broad area on Craigslist every couple of weeks, when two weeks ago, I stumbled onto an ad simply titled "fireplace", that lo and behold it was for an Osburn 2400 insert. It was bought new in October of 2010, and the seller had moved and taken the insert with him, then was unable to use it. The kicker was that it was listed for $800 bucks, I called the guy right away, it was still available, I just needed to wait until the weekend to get it, since it was 160 miles away. I got him down to $700, and picked it up, things in great shape, and it just what I was looking for. Then I turned around and sold my Buck Stove for $260 in a matter of days, maybe I could have gotten more, but I wanted it gone.

Then I put in the order for my liner, I ordered a Flex King Pro 5.5 x 25 liner, 6" would have been too tight for my flue. It has now arrived and I'm getting ready for the install, I just need to cut the old damper out and get my block off plate fabbed up. I've already got a bag of Thermafiber Safing Insulation, which is a Menards alternative to Roxul, and I've got 3 bags of vermiculite insulation ready to go as well. I think I've got all of my ducks in a row.

Now, onto the questions:

1. Where the liner goes into the appliance connector, is that joint typically sealed with furnace cement or high temp RTV? I know the hose clamp holds the liner to the appliance connecter, but what should I use to seal it?

2. Now onto the joint between the appliance connecter and the stove, I know that I should put a bead around the "hole" on the insert and then put the appliance connector in and attach the 3 screws, question is, same as above, furnace cement or hi temp RTV?

In both cases I'm curious if the expansion and contraction would make RTV the better choice, but will it withstand the temps?

When in doubt seal it but I am not sure if rtv is what to use. I would use furnace cement(rutland) which hardens like a rock and ain't burning off!

I thought about sealing my connector to the stove and the flex pipe to the connector but instead sealed it like caulking around a soap dish and using my finger to work it in to place. I didn't want it to be that permanent. Mine has been this way for a year+ and still looks and work fine, even after sweeping.
Folks love pix and they are worth a thousand words so post em if you got em! It helps them help you!

PLAYS WITH FIRE - Well, right now there aren't much for pictures, but I suppose I should take some anyways. I will likely end up caulking it similar to the way you did, simply because of space constraints.

gd9704 - I sure hope so, I know that I was pretty pumped when I found the ad, and even more so once I got it, I can't wait to get it in and burning.

You got yourself a fantastic deal on the 2400!

For the liner, the best tool i've used is what you see in the pic below. Basically, you screw this device at the end of the liner & remove the cross bar held by a nut. Remove the baffle inside the insert and pull on the bar inside this liner puller. Once it is nicely seated in the flue, place back the cross bar and lock it into place with the nut (all parts are stainless steel and heavy duty) et voila! No awkward drilling, cement, goop etc...

This place sells it http://myfireplaceproducts.com/WelcomeScreen.aspx look for part AC02006

PS. I work for Osburn, so if you have any questions...

Attachments

• aco2006.png
    aco2006.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 440
Hello fellow North East Ohioan... Welcome to the Forum... Fantastic deal on that stove. I bought my Englander 30-NC last Spring from a Forum member here who had only had a few fires in it. I had to drive about 120 miles to get it. But a good deal is worth the drive..

Congrats on the stove and like stated above.. We love Pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies.