Newbie - 2 FP's, one insert, lots of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twistyhair

Jan 10, 2014
Ft. Washington, MD
Hi All -

Apologies and thanks in advance for my limited knowledge and for the length of this post. But, I'm ready to learn! I have two immediate issues. First, I need to make sure my insert (new to me but gently used) is installed correctly and secondly I need to figure out why my other fireplace is periodically blowing smoke into my house.

Background: my 1961 home has one FP on the main level and one on the lower level (family room, small guest suite). Last winter I used both fireplaces several times but realized that they were sucking heat out of the house. I replaced the old mesh screens with glass doors for the upstairs fireplace and just purchased a used Appalachian 52 insert for the lower fireplace. Both fireplaces were swept professionally at the beginning of November. The built-in hand-turned damper on the main level FP was replaced last year with one connects to a chain that I pull to open it. The FP cap was replaced at the same time.

Issue 1: My chimney guy is going to install the Appalachian 52 for me. I think I'm supposed to purchase sufficient 8" chimney liner to go from the top of the chimney to the insert along with a connector. I'm not sure what to purchase to keep the damper open and what type of insulation to get for the liner. Also, in reading through posts here, it sounds like people have temperature probes both in the flue as well as on the insert if I understood. Do I need to get these? Is there anything else I need to get to properly install?

Issue 2: At least 3 times this season, the FP with the doors (doors open - screen closed) has blown smoke back into the house after the fire burned for at least an hour. The last time the FP smoked, I was using wood from a friend who splits his own and had kept the split wood in his enclosed garage for two years - I think it was a mix of pecan and oak. What am I doing wrong to cause this smoke in my house? This did not happen last year.

Thanks so much!

Measure the size of your flue to make sure you can fit an 8" flex liner down it, I would recommend you insulating the liner as well with half inch insulation which would put you at around 9.5". You will need to remove the damper and maybe cut out some bricks to fit the 8" liner through, plenty of threads on here how to do that. You will need a Condar Catalytic probe to measure cat temps at a minimum and a magnetic one for the top, since it is an insert there is no way to measure flue temps easily. You will also need an appliance adapter.

I have found Rockford a good place to get liners from: http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/chimney-liner-kit.php

You are suffering a downdraft, colder temps is probably why you are seeing it more often, once the heat is gone the draft reverses. With an insert and insulated liner installed that should not happen while using the insert.

Welcome to the Appalachian club, how much did you pick yours up for?

One other thing, depending on how tall your chimney is (25ft+) you can buy an adapter from www.servicesales.com/ to use a 6" flex liner with this stove.

I agree with worm. They were a lot cheaper than anyone my insulation kit for liner was about $50 bucks less.

Thanks so much for the feedback/education and the lead for purchasing equipment. I got a little nervous that my chimney guy might not install the insert properly so I had two companies come out to give me a quote for installation. It's more expensive than I anticipated ($1400 - 1600). I got some good information from the quotes. I now know that there is an existing 10" stainless steel liner that is insulated (approximately 30'). Both installers said to use an 8" liner. One installer suggested insulating it and the other said that was not necessary. Neither of them thought this could be connected to a 6" liner.

I'm trying to make myself suck it up and find the money to have this thing professionally installed. But $$$ are tight.

FYI - I got the Appalachian for $450. The couple who sold it to me just wanted a newer sleeker looking stove (they used it as a stove not an insert) and seemed to keep everything in their home and in the barn/workshed in pristine condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.