Newbie to the Wonderful World of WoodBurning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fredo, you will also be happy to find several other members who live very close to you. I think there are at least 2 with Lapeer address.

Fredo welcome to the forum and the world of wood burning! I looks forward to your progress pics and experiences!

Ray

Thanks to all of you. Wow, what a wood burning community that is friendly and here to help others. I am excited as my project is gaining progress. I am currently getting the rest of my tile so I can begin to build Hearth.

The Stove installer is coming over this coming Monday to access my living space. From there I hope that Hearth will be complete and my stove up and running by next weekend?

In the mean time I am going to call local individuals that sell wood. I hope to get a few face cords for now and store them in my pole barn.

I am trying to out smart mother nature and get wood before it starts to snow in Michigan.

Take care my wood burning friends

Fredo

Mcollect, I have fixed the problem about truss. I am going to widen my hearth and offset stove from center. This way I have space on opposite side for surplus wood, wood poker, ash shovel ect...

Thanks

Fredo

Fredo said:
Mcollect, I have fixed the problem about truss. I am going to widen my hearth and offset stove from center. This way I have space on opposite side for surplus wood, wood poker, ash shovel ect...

Thanks

Fredo

Now thats sounds like a great idea.

To my friends at hearth.com

I am ready to build my hearth and I am following Osburn Stove Manufactures recommendation for fire safety. It states ceramic tiles back filled with grout and I am using 1/2 inch backer board to adhere tiles to.

I am not going with raised hearth because I like hearth flush with carpet.

Is a ceramic tile and backerboard really that fire proof?

I was wondering if anyone in Hearth community knows of any firewood supply business in Lapeer Michigan where I can purchase split firewood?

Thanks

Fredo

Fredo said:
To my friends at hearth.com

I am ready to build my hearth and I am following Osburn Stove Manufactures recommendation for fire safety. It states ceramic tiles back filled with grout and I am using 1/2 inch backer board to adhere tiles to.

I am not going with raised hearth because I like hearth flush with carpet.

Is a ceramic tile and backerboard really that fire proof?

I was wondering if anyone in Hearth community knows of any firewood supply business in Lapeer Michigan where I can purchase split firewood?

Thanks

Fredo

Durock NexGen cement board is non-combustible and has and R-value of .39 per 1/2" plus the little that tile adds.. Sounds like you only need ember protection and if that is the case you'll be fine..

Ray

Ray, thanks for the input. My Osburn 2000 sits on a pedestal and has a deep ash tray under stove box. Ash tray acts like a heat barrier and keeps floor from heating up.

I think you are correct that Ember protection is all that I will need. I just wish Manufacturer wood state that in owners manual like you mentioned to me.

Take care

Fredo

Fredo said:
Ray, thanks for the input. My Osburn 2000 sits on a pedestal and has a deep ash tray under stove box. Ash tray acts like a heat barrier and keeps floor from heating up.

I think you are correct that Ember protection is all that I will need. I just wish Manufacturer wood state that in owners manual like you mentioned to me.

Take care

Fredo

YW Fredo hearth requirements are something I have mentioned here before as seen here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78062/

I still feel this way about it and many others do as well..

Ray

Are we ever going to get any pictures ?
Your only 50 miles from Backwoods Savage, I hear he has more wood stacked & seasoned than he can ever burn. (200 to 300 cord) Some 10 year dry seasoned oak too.
You have a good strong back? Work for wood? :lol:

No pics as of yet but I will be posting as soon as I break ground so to speak. Nothing fancy for my ceramic tile hearth but when finished and stove in place it is going to look nice.

In the mean while I am hunting down best prices on wood so I can start stocking up, Sweet! I wish that I could get some cords from backwoods savage. That would be awesome but maybe he doesn't sell wood?

Where I live there are tons of fallen tree limbs in ditches and I plan on taking advantage of that. Thank God for For my Ford 150 because she is gonna get a work out shortly.

My wife mentioned today that she is looking forward to a Toasty Christmas Eve party at the house this year. It's just a matter of time...

Thanks

Fredo

bogydave said:
Your only 50 miles from Backwoods Savage, I hear he has more wood stacked & seasoned than he can ever burn. (200 to 300 cord) Some 10 year dry seasoned oak too.

And Dave is only 3500 miles away and has even more wood. Not so sure about his back though.

Backwoods Savage said:
bogydave said:

And Dave is only 3500 miles away and has even more wood. Not so sure about his back though.
I'd trade some oak for birch. you drive.
I hear some of Dennis's CSS wood is considered "antique" :lol: LOL
(-15 last night, 4°f & cloudy now)

My awesome neighbor's came over and helped me begin my hearth project. I am unable to do anything at the moment with my slipped disk and they were there for me.

My neighbor got backer board secured to subfloor and he is going to seam it up tomorrow. It will be ready for ceramic tile in a couple days and hopefully by this next weekend I will be burning wood and heating my home?

The individual that is working for Stove Dealer is coming over tomorrow to access where and how stack is going to run up through my ceiling to outside of roof. He is also going to deliver my wood stove.

I have found some local individuals that sell hard wood. The asking price around here is 45-55 a Face Cord. With all that said I will keep you all posted on my progress...

Take care

Fredo

Breaking News from this here Newbie. I finally purchased my first face cord of wood! I bought Oak and best of all it is ready to burn. It was the last face cord of Oak that this individual had in his wood shed.

I got the load home and my little polish wife moved that wood out from the back of her Ford 150 faster than a speeding locomotive. I had to stand there as she did all the work due to my back injury. Thank God for little Polish Wives and their Ford 150s.

I also found a reputable individual that is going to split me 6 face cord of Ash that will to be delivered in a week or two.

To all my wood burning buds out there, how long should I wait before I can burn Ash?

I heard that if Ash is split into smaller sections that it takes about two weeks to begin drying out. Is that correct? How long will it be before I can begin burning Ash?

My chimney installer is coming out tomorrow to look over where my stove is going and to access ceiling and roof of my home.

Its just a matter of time and hopefully I can start heating up my home with my Osburn 2000 Wood Stove...

Take care my friends..

Fredo

Fredo said:
Breaking News from this here Newbie. I finally purchased my first face cord of wood! I bought Oak and best of all it is ready to burn. It was the last face cord of Oak that this individual had in his wood shed.

I got the load home and my little polish wife moved that wood out from the back of her Ford 150 faster than a speeding locomotive. I had to stand there as she did all the work due to my back injury. Thank God for little Polish Wives and their Ford 150s.

I also found a reputable individual that is going to split me 6 face cord of Ash that will to be delivered in a week or two.

To all my wood burning buds out there, how long should I wait before I can burn Ash?

I heard that if Ash is split into smaller sections that it takes about two weeks to begin drying out. Is that correct? How long will it be before I can begin burning Ash?

My chimney installer is coming out tomorrow to look over where my stove is going and to access ceiling and roof of my home.

Its just a matter of time and hopefully I can start heating up my home with my Osburn 2000 Wood Stove...

Take care my friends..

Fredo

Sounds like things are looking up Fredo! Before you know it you'll be watching the fire dance in your new stove..

Ray

Hoping to beat the winter weather in lapeer Michigan ray. I live off the I-69 corridor in lapeer which is a snow belt that runs west and east directions. Temps are starting to drop into the forties/30s so mr freeze is advancing his winter agenda.

Fredo

Fredo said:

Take care my friends..

Fredo

You've got to do what you've got to do . . . but in my own opinion burning ash that has only been split two weeks before is burning white ash that is still green and unseasoned . . . it seasons fast . . . but not that fast . . . unless you're running it through a kiln. In the older smoke dragons the ash would no doubt burn fine, but in an EPA stove not so well -- I was burning ash in my first year that was 3-5 months cut and split and they still sizzled and spluttered . . .

As I said though . . . you get by . . . you learn to use pallets to help drive the moisture out and get the temps up . . . or you luck out and manage to find someone that has truly seasoned wood that you can purchase or trade unseasoned wood for seasoned wood.

Good luck . . . and welcome to the forum.

Fredo,

Sounds like you have some great friends!

I also will join the bandwagon here about 'seasoned' wood. Seasoning only takes place after wood has been cut/split/stacked for around 1 year. Yes, Ash seasons quicker. Yes, Oak takes around 2 yrs. Pay careful attention to the moisture content of any wood you buy as the newer stoves require firewood with less than 20% interior moisture - moisture is measured on the interior of a split - not the ends. Get yourself a moisture meter to check - you will avoid a LOT of first time burner issues when you know you have correctly seasoned wood. Also, get a stove top thermometer so you know you are burning according to stove manufacturers specifications.

Welcome to the group! Enjoy the heat! :)

Firegod and Shari,

Thanks for your replies. The individuals that sold me my first face cord of seasoned oak the other day called me up on the phone today. They told me that they have a few more face cords of oak and offering it to me.

I told them I really appreciated that they thought of me and reserved the other face cords. I think they wanted to see who I was when I first went out to their farm. They are very nice individuals and we got along very well.

My stove installer will be out by the weekend or the first of next week to install chimney and stove. Wright now the weather in Lapeer Michigan is awful. Winds are gusting out of the North at around 30mph and we are supposed to get around 1-2 inches of rain. By evening it is supposed to turn into snow. About 3-6 inches the weather news is reporting.

It figures, I am trying to get this stove in and wood into my backyard and mother nature unleashes here bad attitude on me. Not a problem I say. I have my little Polish one man army of a wife doing all the back breaking work while my back is injured. What a great gal God has given me...

Thanks for your support and help. I really appreciate the folks at Hearth.com...

That which does not kill me makes me stronger!

To the community of hearth.com,

I was wondering what happens to the outside of wood burning stack and the inside of wood burning stove when it is windy outside?

I am talking about consistent windy/gusty conditions. Is there ever a time when air from outside forces down into chimney and if so what happens to wood burning process?

In lapeer county Michigan winds can get very gusty especially in the winter season. I am just wondering how wind pressure effects wood burning process.

Thanks

Fredo

Fredo, we're not that far apart and I've never had a problem. In addition, we are in the woods and have lots of downdrafts and circular wind; still no problem. However, there are some folks that do have some problems. I recall one of our Alaskan friends who has some problems but they get even more wind than you do.

Backwoods Savage, thanks for responding back. Doing is the best teacher and I know that I will learn by discovering.

Some might say Just throw a bunch of wood into your stove and light er up but as I have learned from individuals such as yourself and others on Hearth.com Wood Burning is like Science.

Discovering how to Burn Wood Efficiently by Experimenting is how I will master my stove and I am looking forward to never using Propane again. At 2.49 a gallon it's enough to make one go broke!

I am picking up a couple face cords of seasoned oak on Thursday and looking forward to that. I just back my truck up and they load it up!

If all goes accordingly I will have 3 Face Cords of Oak and 6 Face Cords of Ash within two weeks. At least for now I will be able to burn Oak to heat my home.

If I had to take a stab at it I would say you are North of I-69? Not trying to be nosy I am just curious because you have mentioned that we are not to far from one another...

Thanks

Fredo

You've got to have wood to burn, so I'm glad to hear that you have found a source for some nice oak. I just want to mention, however, that it is rare to find someone who really has seasoned it properly. You might ask them a little more about when it was cut into rounds, split into pieces, and when it was stacked. With some of that money you will save from not using propane you should invest in a Moisture meter. There are some pretty cheap ones available out there. Many here (myself included) have purchased an inexpensive one from harbor freight. BUT, as I said, you have to have wood and you have a source, so that's good. I just want you to understand that it may impair the ability of your stove to run perfectly if your fuel is sub-par. I'd hate for you to throw some oak into the stove and struggle for an hour to get it going, and not reach high stovetop temps, and maybe send a little smoke floating around the neighborhood, and then get frustrated with the whole burning thing. even if your oak isn't seasoned enough, you can still burn it, but we'll have some advice on how to address the issues that would arise from that. Here's hoping you have a rare quality dealer who "gets" what seasoned really means! Then this whole post would be moot.

Backwoods Savage, thanks so much for looking out for me. I truly appreciate all that you and others on Hearth.com have done for me and for educating me concerning Wood Burning.

As for the individual's that are selling me oak they spoke to me in depth about properly seasoned wood. They mentioned to me the types of wood that burn well and wood that doesn't burn well.

I told them I found a reputable ash man and they told me that if ash is black than its rotted and not to buy it.

They even mentioned one of the ways to tell if oak is ready is it will have a particular 'Pinging' sound when stacking it or it hits cement floor. When they mentioned that it reminded of the days when I worked with my father peddling produce door to door. When ever he would buy watermelons from the Eastern Market he would always tap them several times.

As a young man I asked him why he did that the first time I saw him tapping watermelons. He told me 'You have to hear the GONG like noise for it to be a good watermelon son!' Well, guess who taps their watermelons and cantolopes to this day, I do, and it works!

As for the individual's that I am buying oak from I truly believe that are being up front with me. I sensed in my heart they are good folk and were looking out for me and selling a good product.

Thanks backyard savage for looking out for me. You and others on Heath.com our like family and I am blessed for that....

Take care

Fredo

Status
Not open for further replies.