Newbie to the Wonderful World of WoodBurning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thoughts . . .

Backwoods Savage (aka Dennis) really looks out for a lot of us . . . he's definitely one of the good guys in this world . . . he just doesn't wear a white hat.

Wind . . . no worries . . . sometimes if the wind is really howling I might see a bit of change in the fire . . . but you shouldn't see the fire go out, rage out of control or start blowing smoke into the house or anything like that.

Seasoned wood . . . sounds like the folks you have talked to have some ideas about seasoned wood which is good . . . just be aware that just hearing the pinging noise (most folks describe the noise almost like the sound of a baseball bat coming in contact with another bat -- wooden that is, not aluminum), cracks, etc. are not always a tell-all gauge . . . then again neither is seasoning wood for a year . . . there are variables . . . the only true way to tell if the wood is seasoned is with a moisture meter . . . but barring that purchase going with a year seasoned, cracks, the sound the wood makes, etc. can provide you with some rough guidelines.

Fredo said:
I am delighted and thankful for finding this website. I recently purchased a Osburn 2000, Model # OBO2000, Wood Burning Stove.

The Dealer that I purchased it from was very professional and treated me like family. His business is out of his log cabin home. When my wife and I walked through front door and felt the warmth of the Osburn Wood Burning Stove radiate around us we were sold.

The thing that was most impressive about dealer was he took the time to educate me and my wife about stove. He showed us all the stove features, how the stove operates and the best part about our experience was it was a live, burning fire. We were at his home discussing stove for a few hours and I was impressed with how the stove kept his large home warm and cozy.

Hello Fredo and welcome to the Hearth.com community. A good dealer is a great thing! If you are happy with them please post their names. Lord knows there's enough bad dealers discussed on this board the good ones should be rewarded with a thumbs up.

I work for Osburn so i'll do the obvious and say "great choice"! :)

next time I drive by Lapeer (prob in December) I'll honk my horn!

Great Avatar BTW

All the best

Firegod and FyreBug, thanks for the input. I am going to look into a moisture meter. Many of my brothers here on Hearth.com mention using a meter so I am putting that on my 'To Buy List'. Is there a particular Meter/Brand that I should be looking for? BackWoods Savage mentioned Harbor Freight so I am going to check it out on line.

FyreBug, my stove man is Rich and his wife Cindy which own Autumn Valley Farms in Lapeer County Michigan. They are some awesome folk and my wife and I really enjoyed them and their business. I like how Rich and Cindy invited me and my wife into their home. They treated us like family and the neat thing was when you went through the front door. There SHE was, a beautiful Osburn Wood Stove burning in their living space.

It was burning and the radiant heat that she was giving off was AWESOME! It was love at first sight!

Rich took the time to educate me and my wife about the stove and it was a great experience. I walked into a few Wood Burning Stoves shops before finding Rich and it just wasn't the same. Mind you, I am not trying to bad talk these other dealers because they gave me good service but Rich went above and beyond. Rich is available every time that I have called him and so is his wife Cindy. Look them up and you will be impressed.

Well, I have to get going why the sun is shining over here in Imlay City. It hardly shows its face in the winter months so I am going to take advantage, Nice...

By the way FyreBug, where you live brings back some awesome memories. I played in a class A division marching band when in high school and We marched in Kitchener Ontario. Great place and some fun moments in my life...

Take Care

Fredo

Here is an update on my wood burning stove project. My neighbor just installed ceramic tile for my stove hearth. Looks great and will look even better after he grouts in lines.

Slowly but surely all is going as planned.

Fredo

Fredo said:
Here is an update on my wood burning stove project. My neighbor just installed ceramic tile for my stove hearth. Looks great and will look even better after he grouts in lines.

Slowly but surely all is going as planned.

Fredo

You're fortunate to have neighbors like you do.. Some day they may need you and I bet you'll be there for them as well.. Need some pics so we can see what's going on there :)

Ray

Ray, my neighbor is like a brother to me and we are always there for one another. Soon enough I will be plowing his driveway when it snows.

I will be posting some pictures of my project soon enough.

Fredo

Well, my neighbor came over yesterday and finished my ceramic tile hearth by grouting it in. It turned out beautiful and all I have to do is spray grout sealer on and she will be done.

I know that most of you want pictures and I will be posting them soon.

I also purchased a General Tools MMD4E Digital Moisture Meter. This meter I found on Amazon and it had decent reviews. I like this one even though it was around $18 dollars more than Harbor Freight Model. I like the fact that it was powered by a 9 volt battery instead of LR44 Batteries. Having to replace batteries is not my cup of tea let alone replacing tiny batteries such as LR44s'.

Hopefully this meter will aid me in managing my wood so I can wood burn more efficiently. I have 6 face cords of Ash coming to my house in about a week and I do not want to burn wood that is not seasoned.

I am looking forward to measuring the 3 face cords of Oak that I purchased this past week. The individuals that I purchased oak from says its ready to go and I believe them but I am curious and want to use my new toy.

My Stove is on its way and by next week she should be installed. I am really looking forward to firing up my stove and using all the valuable information that all of you on Hearth have so generously giving me.

Fredo

Fredo said:
Well, my neighbor came over yesterday and finished my ceramic tile hearth by grouting it in. It turned out beautiful and all I have to do is spray grout sealer on and she will be done.

I know that most of you want pictures and I will be posting them soon.

I also purchased a General Tools MMD4E Digital Moisture Meter. This meter I found on Amazon and it had decent reviews. I like this one even though it was around $18 dollars more than Harbor Freight Model. I like the fact that it was powered by a 9 volt battery instead of LR44 Batteries. Having to replace batteries is not my cup of tea let alone replacing tiny batteries such as LR44s'.

Hopefully this meter will aid me in managing my wood so I can wood burn more efficiently. I have 6 face cords of Ash coming to my house in about a week and I do not want to burn wood that is not seasoned.

I am looking forward to measuring the 3 face cords of Oak that I purchased this past week. The individuals that I purchased oak from says its ready to go and I believe them but I am curious and want to use my new toy.

My Stove is on its way and by next week she should be installed. I am really looking forward to firing up my stove and using all the valuable information that all of you on Hearth have so generously giving me.

Fredo

FYI: You need to resplit the wood before measuring the moisture level and jam in the prongs of the moisture meter into the fresh split face of the wood and I believe parallel to the wood grain but I may get corrected on this.. This will give you the true moisture level..

Ray

Thanks ray,

I know that it is late in the year to purchase seasoned firewood but than again I started my wood stove project late in the year also.

I am looking forward to checking wood moisture when meter comes in my mail next week. I just hope that between the oak and ash that I am purchasing I can find a way to heat my home this winter?

Fredo

Hello to all the good folk at Hearth.com,

This just in, Osburn 2000 Stove is on its way and will be at my home by 9:30 this morning, SWEET! As they say, "Good things come
to those that wait".

I pray that all will go well with install but as most of us have encountered in life sometimes we hit bumps in the road. I definitely have to blind fold the wife or lock her in another room when installation is taking place! The poor Gail gets a little nervous when it comes to construction projects. That's all I need is for her to look up at the ceiling and see clouds from inside the living room!

Well, maybe I am exaggerating a little but she does get a little nervous. Not to worry though, it's nothing that this big, burly Italian cant handle. I mention big burly Italian because with my back injury and not being able to do anything I am starting to grow a set of LOVE HANDLES! Got rid of those darn things through running and cycling before my injury and the little bastards are creeping back into my life! As soon as I get back on my feet and start throwing splits around those LOVE HANDLES will melt away!

As I get older I have discovered the art of looking at a lot of things with an EMPTY head. What I mean by this is, I don't OVERREACT to NEGATIVE things that happen to me. It keeps my blood pressure down and objects from flying across the room! Lol

I can't tell all of you at this site how grateful I am for all your kindness and friendship. Thank you for being there for me and I will keep you posted on stove installation.

And yes, Pictures are on there way as soon as I get things in place my friends.

Fredo

Hey Fredo, good news on your progress. I was wondering what did you have to pay for the osburn and is that a cat stove. I looked it up and it did not say cat or not. Good luck with your project.

HighHeat22,

My Osburn 2000, non cat with blower came to 1790.34 and when you add up chimney components, 3.195 and change. Other stove stores that I went to wanted a few hundred dollars more. So, I thought I did pretty well for what I purchased.

As for progress, my Osburn is sitting on its finally resting place(Hearth). The installer did not want to attempt to install chimney due to snow conditions outside. Even though Lapeer Michigan, where I live, received only an inch of snow, the installer did not want to take a chance of moisture leaking into my attic and chance of himself slipping off roof.

I totally understand and would not want either of those two things mentioned to happen.

So, the word of the day and past 2 weeks is....... PATIENCE

Fredo

Fredo said:
HighHeat22,

My Osburn 2000, non cat with blower came to 1790.34 and when you add up chimney components, 3.195 and change. Other stove stores that I went to wanted a few hundred dollars more. So, I thought I did pretty well for what I purchased.

As for progress, my Osburn is sitting on its finally resting place(Hearth). The installer did not want to attempt to install chimney due to snow conditions outside. Even though Lapeer Michigan, where I live, received only an inch of snow, the installer did not want to take a chance of moisture leaking into my attic and chance of himself slipping off roof.

I totally understand and would not want either of those two things mentioned to happen.

So, the word of the day and past 2 weeks is....... PATIENCE

Fredo

The suspense is killing me! We need pics lol..

Ray

Weather predicted to be good most of next week and warmer too.

Ray, if the suspense is killing you, you can imagine how I feel sitting next to my 435lb Osburn stove an no heat is coming out of it!
I am so used to having things done right now but with this project it is taking FOREVER!

But I have been very PATIENT with this stove project and if I think about it, everything is falling into place.

The ash that I ordered 2 weeks ago is coming tomorrow. I ordered 6 face cord of ash and if I like what is delivered tomorrow I am ordering an additional 6 face cord. That's a total of 12 face cord or 3 Federal cord of wood/ash.

Little by little I hope to be heating my house with wood soon...

Fredo

BackWoodsSavage

I am praying for sunny skies, 70 degrees and piña coladas in the forecast for next week! All in do season and before you know it I will have my Osburn up and burning.

Take care my friend

Fredo

Im reading this thread, and Im now anticipating your first burn. Im also on propane for heat, and before the stove, the house would be barely 65 degrees and we would be penniless. During the cold months, we would see the propane truck every 4 or 5 weeks. We now see him twice in a year, and the house easily is 70, and more often than not warmer.

Agartner,

What I am sick and tired of is the furnace. Once it gets to themostate temperature it shuts down and I FREEZE! My poor son has 2 outside walls that make up his bedroom. It gets so cold in there that we could put our freezer foods in there if we needed to!

I am looking forward to getting my stove up and burning. What I love about wood stove is the radiant heat that metal throws off and continues to throw off even after fire begins to burn down.

I am fortunate and blessed that I can prebuy propane every spring but what happens if I were to ever loose my job and not able to dump 1500-2000 dollars down on the stuff? At least I could scrounge for wood to heat my home and cook off top of wood stove.

Fredo

Status
Not open for further replies.