newbie with woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird77

Feeling the Heat
Jul 4, 2007
Hallstead Pa.
Hi My son has just moved into a home with a woodstove. It was just cleaned today and inspected. He is trying to light his first fire, and the smoke is pouring back into the house. The chimeny guy said the damper worked and even showed my son. The only stoves I ever had were Fishers with straight through the cieling pipe, and damper knobs on the front doors, never any problem. He says the damper is on the side of the stove and the chimeny sweep said something about a catalytic combustion something or other. Can any of you good folks help us out here? I know they have no other heat source right now, and hes too far away for me to check it out. Any advice, more then appreciated. Thank you.
I forgot, The pipe runs kind of on and angle to the wall then out the wall and up through an outside cement chimeny

Find out the name/manufacturer of the stove. Does he have the manual? Easier to diagnose!

Thank you so much. As your mail came in I was on the phone with my son and he found the same manual. I really appreacite the help. Thanks again.

It should get him going. They have pretty explicit instructions about getting'er lit off and running with the cat engaged.

If he needs more tips, the customer service mgr. for England's Stove Works monitors the forum and he burns the 24 in his own house.

Status
Not open for further replies.