• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsk175

Nov 15, 2011
NEPA
Hi all, I am a newbie to this forum and just wanted to say hello. I just bought a used 2009 Harman P68. I bought it off Craigslist for $1800 and am looking forward to hookup it up and feeling the warmth. I purchased my first home last year and went through the winter with electric heat only. In the spring I vowed that I would never do that again, So I settled on buying a pellet stove and finally found the Harman on Craigslist about 2 weks ago.
As I stated I dont have it hooked up yet, but am hoping to get to that before Thanksgiving. So far the only thing the stove has done for me is forced me to re do my basement and lay some tile and hang some sheet rock and some other stuff. But I can say that I am now looking forward to the cold weather so that I can see what this puppy does. Anyway I just wanted to say hello.

I have a P68, it is a great stove. You will be very happy! Make sure you put the stove where you want to heat. Don't put it in the basement and expect it to heat the 1st floor. You won't be happy.

Tom C.

jsk175 said:
But I can say that I am now looking forward to the cold weather so that I can see what this puppy does.

I know that feeling! I just installed my P43 last week, tried to get it done as quick as I could because my furnace broke down (too messy and expensive to replace due to location in crawl space), and it was starting to get down below freezing here at night.

Every day since I've installed it it's been pleasantly warm out. Dammit!

I'm a newbie here too, but welcome!

thanks for the advice Silverfox103....the house is actaully a split level and im hoping i can put some registers in and get some heat upstairs.......I understand it wont heat the entire upstairs, but im hoping it will cut back on the electric heat use.....and now I will also have a heated lower level which was basically un usable last year. so im pretty stoked and cant wait to get the stove hooked up......Thanks Again

Been battered for being the "Code Police" before (jk DB) but check local codes before cutting holes in your floor. If its a gravity style vent (open to downstairs) then you should buy fusible link style vents. So in the event of a fire, they close themselves and stop the spread of the fire.

Do as you wish with your home. But I must do my part and tell it how it is. They can be legal. If the right registers are installed. Or depending on your inspectors or towns rules, maybe gravity vents are o.k.??
Best to check 1st. In the event something were to happen or when you go to sell the home, there may be problems. Do it right the 1st time and have no worries.

Welcome and Congrats on the Harman. Way to pick a stove. Go Big or Go Home!!

Thanks DexterDay. I appreciate your advice. I will definetly check the codes and now I know to look for fused vents. Even If it they are not required it sounds like a great idea and I never would have known they even existed. Thanks Again!!

jsk175 said:
Thanks DexterDay. I appreciate your advice. I will definetly check the codes and now I know to look for fused vents. Even If it they are not required it sounds like a great idea and I never would have known they even existed. Thanks Again!!

Your welcome....

Code Police.. Out!!! (Sorry DBCOOPER, now that I understand your last thread, its kinda funny)

Always better to be safe than sorry. You have come to the right place for guidance.

Welcome to the forum.....lot's of friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful people on here.

Locating the stove in the basement with the thought that it will heat that space and maybe lower your electric bill for the upstairs is not the best course of action, IMO. There is NO guarantee that the heat will get up there, even with the added floor registers.

As SilverFox mentioned above, I too HIGHLY recommend that you locate the stove in the area of your house that needs the warmth the most. Even if putting the stove in the basement makes that area more livable than last year, if that is not the area of the house you spend most of your time, the basement is not the best location.

As we've said on this forum MANY times, put the stove in the primary area that needs the heat.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pics of the stove after install.

EDIT:

Since it's a used stove, I highly recommend taking the stove apart as much as possible and give it a complete cleaning.....used stoves are notorious for being very dirty inside and don't burn well (aka the reason the original owner sold it in the first place).

Hello and Welcome. The P68 is a beast and will treat you well. Everyone has given great advice already so I can't think of anything else. Have Fun and read the manual so you can get the most out of your P68.

jsk175 said:
But I can say that I am now looking forward to the cold weather so that I can see what this puppy does. Anyway I just wanted to say hello.

X2 We are all a sadistic bunch, aren't we?

Welcome JSK I'm a newbie too. Just installed mine this weekend and ran it for the first time yesterday (right after it cleared code inspection). The people, info and willingness to help here are awesome............except for DexterDay, he's a "code cop" around here and we all think he sucks! :lol:

xraycer said:
jsk175 said:
But I can say that I am now looking forward to the cold weather so that I can see what this puppy does. Anyway I just wanted to say hello.

X2 We are all a sadistic bunch, aren't we.

Welcome JSK I'm a newbie too. Just installed mine this weekend and ran it for the first time yesterday (right after it cleared code inspection). The people, info and willingness to help here are awesome............except for DexterDay, he's a "code cop" around here and we all think he sucks! :lol:

Yep!!! :cheese:

DexterDay said:
xraycer said:
jsk175 said:

See Dex, now the others have you all figured out!!! :lol:

jsk175 said:
thanks for the advice Silverfox103....the house is actaully a split level and im hoping i can put some registers in and get some heat upstairs.......I understand it wont heat the entire upstairs, but im hoping it will cut back on the electric heat use.....and now I will also have a heated lower level which was basically un usable last year. so im pretty stoked and cant wait to get the stove hooked up......Thanks Again

Welcome from me as well. You will not go wrong with a Harman. I'm on my second stove in 16 years. As others have said, the P68 is a beast and in a split level home, trying to heat from the basement will be a challenge. Be ready to wear your summer attire downstairs when you have that sucker cranking!! If you've got other options, consider them all before installing in the basement.

Harman Lover 007 said:
DexterDay said:
xraycer said:
jsk175 said:

Welcome to the forum.

I'll take the code cops on here any day.

Hey Dexter,

I wonder if Don will be dredging up all of the news articles on folks that didn't pay attention to code and the safety warnings in their manuals this season.

To quote smoke show, "just saying"

SmokeyTheBear said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
DexterDay said:
xraycer said:
jsk175 said:

Welcome to the forum.

Hey Dexter,

I wonder if Don will be dredging up all of the news articles on folks that didn't pay attention to code and the safety warnings in their manuals this season.

Don did dredge up a bunch of house fire articles last season.....

As for sounding like a broken record on "Code". Its up to the person what they do in there home. There is no harm in supplying information. I believe everyone here wants there set-up to be as safe as possible.

We must remember. We are dealing with Fire "Inside" of our homes. Should not be taken lightly. For anyone who does not think so, then search "house fire" here. There were many threads posted last year by member Don2222, as Smokey stated. Hope there isnt that many this year.

All Wood and Pellet stoves should list Hearth.com in the manual. Would give many newbies a giant head start and also ensure a safe install....

Just sayin....!! LOL. Guy at work says that All the Time.. Hilarious!

DexterDay said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
DexterDay said:
xraycer said:
jsk175" date="1321485355 said:

Welcome to the forum.

Hey Dexter,

Don did dredge up a bunch of house fire articles last season.....

As for sounding like a broken record on "Code". Its up to the person what they do in there home. There is no harm in supplying information. I believe everyone here wants there set-up to be as safe as possible.

We must remember. We are dealing with Fire "Inside" of our homes. Should not be taken lightly. For anyone who does not think so, then search "house fire" here. There were many threads posted last year by member Don2222, as Smokey stated. Hope there isnt that many this year.

All Wood and Pellet stoves should list Hearth.com in the manual. Would give many newbies a giant head start and also ensure a safe install....

Just sayin....!! LOL. Guy at work says that All the Time.. Hilarious!

Good thing Dons busy reconditioning old stoves these days. :lol:

Welcome!
We have the P61 and love it!
Like any other stove, be sure to keep it clean.
A guy at work had a fire in his exhaust pipe. (Mini chimney fire)
Cause: Creosote or maybe a nest that was missed while cleaning.

Enjoy :) !

Status
Not open for further replies.