Newby

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

selby

Oct 6, 2016
Ohio
Hey all,

I am a new home owner. I've been doing pretty much all of my research from this website and very impressed at the expertise here.

I have a one story 1100 sq ft double wall brick ranch, with about 1000 sq of unfinished basement. There is an existing ancient oil furnace and duct work. It works but I don't want to depend on it. I have no interest in converting to propane or electric. So I've narrowed it down to wood or wood pellets. Since the whole house is brick I'm not to excited about installing stove pipe for the chimney. And there's no good way up for stove pipe. I got a quote for a mini caddy installed at 7800 :(

It seems the requirements for venting a pellet stove or pellet furnace are a lot easier then for wood. I have gotten stuck on if I can heat the home with a stand alone wood pellet stove in the basement (have been eyeing the Quad CB 1200). My worry is that I'll lose to much heat through the walls in my basement. But my hope is since it's a small home and well insulated in the living area, that it could work by radiance and natural convection (open basement door). The wood floors are not insulated. I'm hesitant to install a pellet stove or insert in the living area, my basement would be cold? (washer/dryer/play room in basement and wife wouldn't be impressed).

I am on a somewhat tight budget, and I would prefer to have a pro installation. Budget is also a big part of my hope that I could get by with the Quad in the basement, oil backup and a couple infrared units. It looks like the pellet furnaces would run me up the money ladder by the time installed.
I plan to talk to a dealer but I wanted to get some of your input before I meet with him.
Any thoughts welcome and I'm happy to be part of your group.

Generally a pellet stove will not heat the first floor well from the basement. They are a space heater unless you get a furnace . There may be rare exceptions but it is dependant on the convection loop generated. You would still have a hard time moving heat to the farthest reaches. Where is your stairway located in relation to upstairs rooms? Split level, Centre or one end? What room does it open into? Diagram of layout or really good description needed.

A basement does have the advantage of generally maintaining a fairly constant temperature depending on exterior wall exposure. You will lose heat if walls are uninsulated. You would definitely need an OAK.

Generally a pellet stove will not heat the first floor well from the basement. They are a space heater unless you get a furnace . There may be rare exceptions but it is dependant on the convection loop generated. You would still have a hard time moving heat to the farthest reaches. Where is your stairway located in relation to upstairs rooms? Split level, Centre or one end? What room does it open into? Diagram of layout or really good description needed.

A basement does have the advantage of generally maintaining a fairly constant temperature depending on exterior wall exposure. You will lose heat if walls are uninsulated. You would definitely need an OAK.

The stairwell goes down from the kitchen. The living area is off the kitchen with the fireplace basically smack dab in the middle of the house. The bedrooms are in the back of the house. My thinking would be to install the stove close to the middle of the basement. The basement is completely underground (cinder block foundation).
What is an OAK?

O A K
O outside
A air
K kit
supplies outside air for combustion in the sealed stove
so as not to use interior air which would have to be replaced by air
from the outside through air leakage of door and windows and
other places where you get air finding its way in

OAK = Outside Air Kit.

Welcome to the site! It's a very helpful and friendly community.

O A K
O outside
A air
K kit
supplies outside air for combustion in the sealed stove
so as not to use interior air which would have to be replaced by air
from the outside through air leakage of door and windows and
other places where you get air finding its way in

Thanks for the explanation. Regarding your numbers at the bottom of your post, did your house generally feel warm with the ef3 in the basement?

Thanks for the explanation. Regarding your numbers at the bottom of your post, did your house generally feel warm with the ef3 in the basement

My pellet stove is not in the basement It is used to heat a summer kitchen in
an old farm house citra 1850 . The main house is heated with a combination wood oil furnace
using 4 cord of hardwood a year and 4 1/2 tons of pellets are used in the stove
Don't use me as the norm it gets dam cold around here 30 plus days of -40 ::C
But still haven't burnt a drop of oil in 35 years

I heat my ranch 1630 sqft house from the basement with a stove. Basement is not finished, so technically I am heating 3260 sqft. I burn corn though and the house is only 1 year old built with 2x6 walls with R21 walls and R49 in the attic. The basement has the white blanket insulation on top 4 feet. No ducting or anything, just leave basement door open. Almost steady as a rock 2 deg colder upstairs. I shoot for 72 down and 70 up. I set thermostat for heat pump/electric furnace for 69 upstairs. I never turn the st croix lancaster over medium or number 3 when in single digits outside, usually on 1 till below 20 deg outside When it gets in the mid lower teens furnace kicks on few times a day. It can be done, its all in the insulation. I live in NE Ohio so we do get winter here but not Alaska winter. I have averaged $165 a month for everything- heat in winter, AC for summer and all electric house. Thats less than my cable, internet, phone bill. I am very pleased and so glad I chose the extra insulation.

Edit- We like our bedroom cold, 60-65 but we did see a few night 56-58 last winter and the wife just adds an extra blanket on her side of bed.

Last edited:
So I've decided on a pellet furnace. I found a farenheight endurance for 3000$ and a Harman pf120 for 4500$ used. After install the pf120 would end up being only about 1000$ more then the farenheight, because the pf120 dealer is local. Will I lose a lot of efficiency and use more pellets with the pf120? Is this complete overkill? My house is 1100 sq ft upstairs and 1000 sq ft in the basement. Opinions on which I should chose? The wife and I decided a furnace is our best bet to keep us comfy, as opposed to a pellet stove in the basement or insert upstairs.

Personally I would go with the Harman you may be thankful
for the extra BTU s when you endure an extended cold snap
although if you have access to other fuels the farenheight endurance
may work for you .

I would go with the Fahrenheit because it's still being made and it's a more popular furnace so getting help will be easier if needed and it should be plenty of stove for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.