Oak Creek pellets - anyone try them ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lecomte38

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Central Mass
The pellet supplier is pitching them to me saying that they have less moisture and clean burning for only $30 / ton more then NEWP.
The search came up with very little info on them.

lecomte38 said:
The pellet supplier is pitching them to me saying that they have less moisture and clean burning for only $30 / ton more then NEWP.
The search came up with very little info on them.
Hmm sounds like you might have the same distributor as me...
They are great pellets....
But 30 bucks more than NEP...not worth it...
but for 10 bucks more @ 279 they are selling Rocky Mountain...nice pellet...definitely worth 10 bucks more than NEP.
of course this is ll my humble opinion.

NEWP worked fine for me but the several bags of Rocky Mountain I burned may be a little better with a little less ash. Dollar for dollar I'd go with Rocky Mountain and maybe would pay more than for NEWP. How much more, I'm not sure, so cost might not be the only consideration.

I like the label info on the Rocky Mountain bag. It seems to spell out more, including the fact that the wood is all pine and comes from trees killed by insects. Then again, I live in New England and would prefer to support more local wood suppliers. Of course, NEWP could be shipping the pellets in from who knows where.

Just my two cents, saying "on the one hand" and "on the other hand". I guess trying pellets yourself is best but this is too late in the year to burn much.

What I did this year is pick up two tons of NEWP and two tons of Okanagan. I think Rocky Mountain is similar to the OK pellets, but I'm not looking for a detailed comparison right now. I've placed my bets. I'll tell you next year if you're interested then.

Oops, my mistake. I misread Oak Creek and thought Rocky Mountain. LOL, this city boy doesn't listen to enough country music and got the place names confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.