Odd draft occurance.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Since I added 4 feet to my pipe, it has been drawing like crazy, and done a couple things different than it did last year. It reminds me of tuning an engine after it uses lots of gas or maybe misses occasionally.

This happened tonight when I made a small fire to knock the chill off of outside temp. of 60s, inside 70 degrees.

I filled the bottom with dry kindling, on top of a few news papers which I did not wad up too much like I usually do, just a quick roll.

I then lit it and opened my door all the way open, it was drawing like crazy with this new added pipe, all was well, kindling was catching very well but lots of smoke.

My wife then said, I see some smoke coming out of bottom of the stove (damper inlet). I looked and there was a small wisp of smoke coming out of damper, none coming out of stove but a lot of smoke and fire was going up chimney.

I shut the door and it instantly stopped, no more at all and stove has performed perfectly again for several hours.

This is my opinion on what happened, I hope others chime in and tell me if I could be correct.

The draw was so good and there was so much smoke, none was coming out, but since I had door open so long, it forced a few wisp of smoke out my damper, I was over riding my supposed suction through the bottom of my stove by having my door wide open for so long.

When I shut the door it allowed my damper intake to take over and start going up the chimney.

Thoughts ?

Robbie

Robbie said:
Since I added 4 feet to my pipe, it has been drawing like crazy, and done a couple things different than it did last year. It reminds me of tuning an engine after it uses lots of gas or maybe misses occasionally.

This happened tonight when I made a small fire to knock the chill off of outside temp. of 60s, inside 70 degrees.

I filled the bottom with dry kindling, on top of a few news papers which I did not wad up too much like I usually do, just a quick roll.

I then lit it and opened my door all the way open, it was drawing like crazy with this new added pipe, all was well, kindling was catching very well but lots of smoke.

My wife then said, I see some smoke coming out of bottom of the stove (damper inlet). I looked and there was a small wisp of smoke coming out of damper, none coming out of stove but a lot of smoke and fire was going up chimney.

I shut the door and it instantly stopped, no more at all and stove has performed perfectly again for several hours.

This is my opinion on what happened, I hope others chime in and tell me if I could be correct.

The draw was so good and there was so much smoke, none was coming out, but since I had door open so long, it forced a few wisp of smoke out my damper, I was over riding my supposed suction through the bottom of my stove by having my door wide open for so long.

When I shut the door it allowed my damper intake to take over and start going up the chimney.

Thoughts ?

Robbie

The technical answer is:

Yep.

Thanks BB.

Dylan, I guess that is possible, though the smoke and fire that was in the firebox was steadily going up the chimney, it seemed to be drawing really well.

Though it could have had a moment where it did not pull as well and spilled a little smoke out.

Oh well, another learning experience for my newer draft system. I think it's going to be quite a bit different from last season because I added a couple of extra feet on my pipe.

Robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.