offset with a 40 degree angle is going thru our ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

labviking

Hearth Supporter
May 8, 2008
sandstone, mn
Hey there. Thanks for reading this and any help you can give me.

My wife and I are building a home and had a guy install a Oracle High Efficiency Wood Burning See Through Fireplace. From the fireplace, the pipe goes up 14 feet, then at a 40 degree angle goes about another 10 feet thru the roof trusses, then turned 40 degrees and out the roof. All pipe is stainless steel double walled and enclosed (not sticking out so you can see it). The pipe couldn't go straight up as it would have been in the roof valley. The framer recommended this solution (but he doesn't install fireplaces).

The first 40 degree angle ends up coming out of our ceiling for about 18 inches. If the pipe is pushed up 6 inches at the first 40 degree angle, it will not be a problem sticking out the ceiling. But then the offset will be be going thru the roof. How does one make a 40 degree angle with 15 degree angles? When the pipes go together at the joints, is there a little play in the pipe joints (like 1 degree). To raise the pipe up 6 inches, I thought he could use 5 1 foot sections instead of 1 4 foot section. Then in each joint make up a degree and it would work.

I know this is not the simplest of runs. We will basically use it on cold winter evenings ( so 30-40 times a year for about 10 hours at a time or so). I realize it might get a little dirty, so yearly cleaning is necessary. I burned the fireplace for about 40 hours before the chimney box was built. It burned very good and the pipes where very clean!

Thanks,
labviking

I'm sure if you pushed hard enough they would move a degree or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.