Okay, I am really torn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, maybe time to add 500 sq ft extension on the house to match the stove capacity?

I have never seen anybody cover their windows like that..guess I don't get out much.
Anyways to the OP.
The King should be fine but have you looked at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid yet?

I've never seen that much buildup in anything I've burned. Scary to say the least. If you need an inspection door in your stove pipe, you have some mighty poor burning habits. Maybe you should look at the new, smaller BKs.

I wouldn't consider 1800 sq ft small. On the edge of Princess/King, I think. The King in my sister's 2600 sq ft, decently insulated, reasonably tight, two story house is more than enough, but in my under-insulated, drafty 1600 sq ft ranch, it's adequate. We don't see your kind of temps often, though, and not for more than a day or two.

Reactions: rdust
I've never seen that much buildup in anything I've burned. Scary to say the least. If you need an inspection door in your stove pipe, you have some mighty poor burning habits.

Maybe you should look at the new, smaller BKs.
Oh that's what that top pic was about..went over my head..lol.
Never seen that either!

Your dealer may be right in telling you that you will cook yourself out,(as I found even with the princess) but he is assuming you will be running it hot enough to ignite the cat, in your small home that might cook you out, but you can pull the cat out and then burn even lower and not cook yourself out, you will want to pull the cat if you burn at really low temps as the cat can plug up if left in, and used continuiously at very low settings, Just what works for me with a small super insulated home.
Once you go blaze king you dont mess with anything else. whatever one you use will leave you happy.

My cat lights off with a stove top of 200*. The Princess on low has the heat output about the same as an electric space heater. I can run mine on low on a 50-60 degree day and not cook myself out.(house is just under 2K)

Eddy, that pipe looks awful. I couldn't even sleep knowing my stove was making a mess like that. Put the cat back in, burn seasoned wood and you can dial that stove down to low before it ever overheats the house.

most of it condenses right on the (cooler) insides of the stove , heavy thick black tar that just nicely burns away when I next have a hot fire

Actually, you did say you burn it off.
I've got an old Ashley that doesn't burn even close to that dirty. And yes, that is indicative of all the crap that you're putting in the air.!!!

Brian, I feel for ya. I'm constantly flipping as to which stove to get to replace my old one.
You'll get it figured out.

Get the King.
Easy enough to build small fires when temps are above 40°f.
But when it's cold, small stove may not put out enough when at max BTU output ;)

I use mine when in the 40s°f' temps. I have had to open a few windows but fresh air is good.
But at -20°f, the bigger the better ;)

There is a learning curve with any stove.

I have never seen anybody cover their windows like that..guess I don't get out much.
Anyways to the OP.
The King should be fine but have you looked at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid yet?

I haven't seen any Woodstock stoves. Where I live, there are a limited amount of good, reputable stoves, and dealers.
The main ones around here are BK, Enerzone and Pacific Energy stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.