Older Jotul #3 w/draft wheel info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blel

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Southeast CT
Trying to find info on older Jotul#3 with draft wheel. Is it an airtight stove, sec burn,area it will heat (approx) btus, burn time, etc? I assume it is not cat. Thinking of buying a used one but can"t find any info on them.

Thanks

Do you know approx square footage it will heat, burn time?

That totally depends on the house and how well it's insulated. It's a stout little heater but it has a small firebox. So it can heat 1200 sq ft, with lots of feeding.

House is a small cape, 1st floor about 900 sf, upatairs a little less. Was built in mid 50s so it has some insulation. I'm not looking to use stove as only heat, just to supplement exist oil heat. Do you think it would burn 6 hours or so?

It will likely heat the place, but would be more like 3-4 hours between refills. The #8 or current F400 would bring you closer to 6 hr reloads. Over the course over the summer you could invest in more insulation and caulking. That will pay off no matter what the heat source is.

The #3 I'm looking at can be bought for about $200. Also saw a #8 for $425 supposedly in good shape.Not sure to get one of these or a new Englander 13. Any opinions?

That's really up to what you like. If it's all the same heat to you, I'd go for the new Englander 13NC. It will give you a much cleaner, long burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.