Osburn 2200 or 2400?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya gotta post a picture of that!!!!

Bozlee said:
I do have one question. We purchased a chimney cleaning brush and used it after the 03-04 burning season. The brush is some sort of metal and do you think it is at all possible that using the brush caused some sort of damage inside the stove pipe.
I hate to go back here but!! This coincides with your timeline of problems. And also didn't you say you were gonna extend the pipe before the demo/ sledgeathon?
Make sure you keep the dogs on the other side of the plastic (just in case they are the smokers in the house and hiding it from ya) ;-)

GVA said:
Bozlee said:
I do have one question. We purchased a chimney cleaning brush and used it after the 03-04 burning season. The brush is some sort of metal and do you think it is at all possible that using the brush caused some sort of damage inside the stove pipe.
I hate to go back here but!! This coincides with your timeline of problems. And also didn't you say you were gonna extend the pipe before the demo/ sledgeathon?
Make sure you keep the dogs on the other side of the plastic (just in case they are the smokers in the house and hiding it from ya) ;-)

Yeah still gonna extend the outside chimney by another three feet. Only one problem getting it installed before the BIG EXPERIMENT..it's -32 celcius out there...yikes!

Now you got me thinking..little Bozlee (he's the tiny brown dog) has been spending a lot of time hiding in the walk-in closet hmmm "-) better keep a closer eye on him :)

[quote author="Bozlee" date="1164961138"]
Yeah still gonna extend the outside chimney by another three feet. Only one problem getting it installed before the BIG EXPERIMENT..it's -32 celcius out there...yikes!

Oh come on that's fall like weather in Canada... :cheese:

Warren said:
Any news/update here?

i was wondering the same i hope he is okay

I have a vision of him shrink wrapped in plastic to his stove...with black gunk all over his face.

Warren said:
I have a vision of him shrink wrapped in plastic to his stove...with black gunk all over his face.

Morning all...well happy to report I am not shrink wrapped nor am I covered in black gunk :)

We did our little experiement and the end result is the stove will soon be 'History" :-(

We had a heck of a time trying to keep the poly up. Since my ciellings and walls have all recently been painted I was not about to use anything but painters tape to hang it and with 13 foot hight cielings there was quite a bit of weight to hold up. The living room area is 17 feet wide by 22 feet long. We sealed off half the room (moved all the furniture out of the sealed off area.) The ceiling fan was inside the sealed off area. Before lighting the stove we made sure all the walls and windows in the sealed off area where really clean. We also turned off the furnace and HRV to make sure there was no air circulation in the house but we ran the cieling fan. We lit the stove and let it burn for almost three hours. For the first hour and a half I sat inside the sealed off area to monitor for any smoke coming out of the stove or stove pipe. It was a very over cast day and I had a flashlight with me to shine around the stove to see if in the bright light I could see smoke that I could not see otherwise. Not at anytime did I see a hint of any smoke coming out of any part of the stove or stove pipe. My husband kept an eye on the smoke coming from the top of the chimney outside and and the draft going up the chimney appeared to be working fine.

The end result after three hours of burning.......a slight brown film covering the window frames and sills and walls and ceilings inside the sealed off area!!!!! When we took the poly down, underneath the painters tape it was clean but around the outside edges of the tape you could see the brown film. The brown film was not as bad as the first time this happened but then we only burnt the stove for three hours. I'm sure the longer we would burn the stove the heavier this film would get.

This experiment has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the wood stove is the culprit. Why I have no idea but clearly there is something wrong with this stove. As I had mentioned sometime back, we also have a wood stove in our free standing sun house. It's a different brand and was installed by the same person who installed the osburn in the main house. The sun house stove has caused us no grief what so ever.

The only way left to try and figure out what could be wrong with this stove is to send it to the Manufacturer in Montreal and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. But the shipping costs for that would be our expense and to ship a 500 pound stove halfway across the country and back makes no sense to us what so ever. Especially when there is no garauntee that they will find the problem.

You guys have been great and I and my husband certainly do appreciate all your efforts in helping us troubshoot our problem. As it stands right now we do not plan to light this stove again...at least not inside the house. Come spring we are going to have the stove removed from the house and re-installed into our garage. Wether we replace the stove in the house remains to be seen but I doubt very much that we will. We may look at putting in a zero clearance fireplace instead.

Thanks again for all your help. You've all been great. Have a wonderful winter and a Very Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you.

Corie said:
Is anyone else in the mood for a road trip to Canada to pick up an osburn?

I thought I had the deal done a week ago to just have a freight company pick it up for me.

I wonder what the price will be....

I'll start. 10 bucks. (always start low)

Bozlee said:
Warren said:

Morning all...well happy to report I am not shrink wrapped nor am I covered in black gunk :)

We did our little experiement and the end result is the stove will soon be 'History" :-(

We had a heck of a time trying to keep the poly up. Since my ciellings and walls have all recently been painted I was not about to use anything but painters tape to hang it and with 13 foot hight cielings there was quite a bit of weight to hold up. The living room area is 17 feet wide by 22 feet long. We sealed off half the room (moved all the furniture out of the sealed off area.) The ceiling fan was inside the sealed off area. Before lighting the stove we made sure all the walls and windows in the sealed off area where really clean. We also turned off the furnace and HRV to make sure there was no air circulation in the house but we ran the cieling fan. We lit the stove and let it burn for almost three hours. For the first hour and a half I sat inside the sealed off area to monitor for any smoke coming out of the stove or stove pipe. It was a very over cast day and I had a flashlight with me to shine around the stove to see if in the bright light I could see smoke that I could not see otherwise. Not at anytime did I see a hint of any smoke coming out of any part of the stove or stove pipe. My husband kept an eye on the smoke coming from the top of the chimney outside and and the draft going up the chimney appeared to be working fine.

The end result after three hours of burning.......a slight brown film covering the window frames and sills and walls and ceilings inside the sealed off area!!!!! When we took the poly down, underneath the painters tape it was clean but around the outside edges of the tape you could see the brown film. The brown film was not as bad as the first time this happened but then we only burnt the stove for three hours. I'm sure the longer we would burn the stove the heavier this film would get.

This experiment has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the wood stove is the culprit. Why I have no idea but clearly there is something wrong with this stove. As I had mentioned sometime back, we also have a wood stove in our free standing sun house. It's a different brand and was installed by the same person who installed the osburn in the main house. The sun house stove has caused us no grief what so ever.

The only way left to try and figure out what could be wrong with this stove is to send it to the Manufacturer in Montreal and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. But the shipping costs for that would be our expense and to ship a 500 pound stove halfway across the country and back makes no sense to us what so ever. Especially when there is no garauntee that they will find the problem.

You guys have been great and I and my husband certainly do appreciate all your efforts in helping us troubshoot our problem. As it stands right now we do not plan to light this stove again...at least not inside the house. Come spring we are going to have the stove removed from the house and re-installed into our garage. Wether we replace the stove in the house remains to be seen but I doubt very much that we will. We may look at putting in a zero clearance fireplace instead.

Thanks again for all your help. You've all been great. Have a wonderful winter and a Very Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you.

Sorry to hear that!! this thread has gotton so long i don't know if this was mentioned but now that we know its the stove check all the welds seams ets with flashlight and match if possible if thats ok then get a new door and send the old one back for then to examine that will save your frieght costs thats more than likely what it is is a warped door like you thought before.... good luck

now thats just odd , I wonder is the full seams were welded after the stove was tacked together?

$10.25 Warren .............. :cheese: I know a welder that can fix it if so.

Get back. All of you. She never said a word about payment when she said I could have it picked up!

BrotherBart said:
Get back. All of you. She never said a word about payment when she said I could have it picked up!

Yeah , unhu , Ok .......So shoud we put you down for $10.50 ?

Attachments

• swordfight.gif
    swordfight.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 280
Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:

Hell no. I volunteered to have it picked up. She said yes. The heck with bidding. Anybody know a decent Canadian lawyer?

And a good cleaner for getting greasy brown crap off of a stove?

What did the lab analysis of the brown stuff show?

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:

Hell no. I volunteered to have it picked up. She said yes. The heck with bidding. Anybody know a decent Canadian lawyer?

And a good cleaner for getting greasy brown crap off of a stove?

Heck guys...did I forget to mention my stove has "attitude"! There is no greasy brown crap on the stove...it's shiny clean as the day I bought it. It wouldn't cover itself in greasy kunk...it just covers by entire house and everything in it ;-).

Anyway...everything in the stove is sealed tight...nothing coming apart. Only that darn door is not closing tightly and the retailer and the manufacturer tell me that I 'cannot" get a new door because they no longer manufacturer them for my particular stove. Some days you just can't win for loosing !

Roospike...I did indeed tell you you could pick up the stove en gratis :)...but I spoke with my cohorts at US Customs and they tell me that this stove will never be granted immigration status into the U.S. Something to do with Homeland Security and the importing of "dangerous goods" :). Like I said...some days your the windshield and somedays your the bug :).

Hello Everyone...I am going to be so late for work but I just have to take the time to tell you all what happened this morning.

For two years I have been trying to get the retailer that sold me the osburn to address our problems with the stove. They stopped carrying the osburn line shortly after they sold us the stove and have been avoiding me like the plaque

The owner called me this morning and they are sending a crew out to pick up the stove....( I live 170 miles away from their business) if they cannot figure out why this stove is causing such a mess in my house they are going to replace it with a new one....Yippeeee :)

There really must be a Santa Caluse afterall :)

Thanks again everyone for all of your help......and help you did.

Merry Christmas to all of you
Vera (aka Bozlee)

Awesome Bozlee, you must be thrilled. Did you mention to your dealerthat the world is watching this story unfold? Do you have a choice of replacement stove? What is the dealer recommending?

PS: Did lab tests ever come back determining exactly what the substance is?

BeGreen said:
Awesome Bozlee, you must be thrilled. Did you mention to your dealerthat the world is watching this story unfold? Do you have a choice of replacement stove? What is the dealer recommending?

PS: Did lab tests ever come back determining exactly what the substance is?

yeah..... did i am dying to know what was it

That's great news! Keep us updated, and by all means let us know what the lab tests showed.

Status
Not open for further replies.