Oslo installed but very lazy burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, Wendell could just be talking smack, I haven't seen a picture yet. ;-P

BeGreen said:
It takes a while to learn how to burn well in any new stove. You'll have nice predictable burns happening soon. Every fire doesn't have to be a huge one. Once the stove is warmed up, just add a couple splits when it needs them and let it cruise at 400. Forget the secondary lightshow, especially in shoulder season weather and just go for predictable comfort.

Yes, it does burn a little differently than I expected it to but am already getting it figured out. Last night did the same. A lot of smaller splits to get the temp up and then loaded it up, got the burn established and was able to shut it almost all the way down and it still kept the stove top at 550.

Need to let the house cool down a bit more before I fire it up for tonight and will be doing as you suggest, get a coal bed established and then add a few sticks as needed. This thing definitely doesn't need to be loaded up until we are into the teens!

Todd said:
I don't know, Wendell could just be talking smack, I haven't seen a picture yet. ;-P

I have been waiting to finish the trim around the hearth pad and get the wall painted before taking any pictures. Either that, or I'm just egging you guys on. ;-)

Wendell, that's great that you have it figured out. Congratulations.

Oh, all right.

IMG_3594.jpg

And, turning it down and letting the secondaries kick in.

IMG_3600.jpg

" . . . or what I think is most likely . . . firebox needs more wood . . . I find that while I can have a small fire in the Oslo and it will warm up the house, this stove always seems to do much better and burn better with a full load in the firebox . . ."

Sure . . . pay no attention or heed to FirefighterJake's advice. ;) . . . I told you that I thought this was the key . . . more wood.

Incidentally, I like Anshenlich1's analogy of the Oslo being like a locomotive . . . I too find it does best when loaded and it takes a bit to truly get it up and running at full steam . . . but then she will really haul and do well.

Oh yeah . . . about the doghouse . . . I tend to pull away the coals from the doghouse and pile on top or slightly in front of the doghouse . . . you can also load this stove right to the gills . . . but any wood too close to the front may roll up against the glass . . . which can lead to the glass blacking . . . or you can get a build up of ash there . . . doesn't affect the burn . . . just a bit unsightly until you sweep the ash off the lip or get a hot fire to burn off the black.

firefighterjake said:
" . . . or what I think is most likely . . . firebox needs more wood . . . I find that while I can have a small fire in the Oslo and it will warm up the house, this stove always seems to do much better and burn better with a full load in the firebox . . ."

Sure . . . pay no attention or heed to FirefighterJake's advice. ;) . . . I told you that I thought this was the key . . . more wood.

Incidentally, I like Anshenlich1's analogy of the Oslo being like a locomotive . . . I too find it does best when loaded and it takes a bit to truly get it up and running at full steam . . . but then she will really haul and do well.

Oh yeah . . . about the doghouse . . . I tend to pull away the coals from the doghouse and pile on top or slightly in front of the doghouse . . . you can also load this stove right to the gills . . . but any wood too close to the front may roll up against the glass . . . which can lead to the glass blacking . . . or you can get a build up of ash there . . . doesn't affect the burn . . . just a bit unsightly until you sweep the ash off the lip or get a hot fire to burn off the black.

In fairness to a dumb firefighter the solution is always to get a bigger hammer, increase the pressure or add more fuel to the fire . . . ;) :)

Jake, what are you talking about? Of course I listened to you and did exactly what you said and look how well it is working!

wendell said:
Jake, what are you talking about? Of course I listened to you and did exactly what you said and look how well it is working!

Ut oh . . . time to increase my meds. ;) :)

Glad things are working out . . . didn't realize you actually took my advice . . . I'm just not used to folks doing so. ;)

Jake, I think you've said in the past that your glass stays really clean on your stove. I'm getting a light haze shortly after start up that is not burning off. What is your experience? Probably not a big deal but I am a clean glass fanatic.

wendell said:
Jake, I think you've said in the past that your glass stays really clean on your stove. I'm getting a light haze shortly after start up that is not burning off. What is your experience? Probably not a big deal but I am a clean glass fanatic.

It's normal . . . sometimes I get some fly ash on it . . . bugs me too . . . sometimes I can control my urge to clean it right then and there . . . other times I let the fire die down to hot coals and use a damp newspaper to clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.