Outgassing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Did a search, and nothing...What exactly is it??

"Outgassing (sometimes called offgassing, particularly when in reference to indoor air quality) is the release of a gas that was dissolved, trapped, frozen or absorbed in some material."

In the case of a woodstove, the material is wood.

I suppose you are asking how it relates to wood burning stoves? Outgassing is pretty much what happens until the load is burned down to coals. As the wood is heated, gasses are released and burned. That's what makes purty flames. Google 'wood gas'

Excellent....thank you!

The best example I can give of outgassing was on a show on tv where some people were supposed to be living post apocolyptically. They built a fire and put pieces of wood inside a 55 gallon metal barrel they sealed the barrel and except for a metal pipe out the top that went to a carburetor on a generator. As the bond fire burned it heated up (basically like a sealed oven) all the wood inside the barrel. As the wood cooked it outgassed. The outgasses are combustable so the pipe led it to the generator and when they started the generator they had their own fuel which powered the generator after they were out of gasoline.

A stove (when hot enough) can cook the unburned wood. As the wood off gasses the secondaries mix oxygen and above the correct temperature the gasses burn therefore giving you a secondary burn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F258s13UxfY

I wouldn't smoke a cigarette as that guy does around an explosive tank like he does either.

Status
Not open for further replies.