Painting ICC pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpink

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2010
Northern New Jersey
I want to paint the new pipe to match my stove. I was thinking of using a high heat resistant spray paint. Will this kind of paint adhere to the galvanized finish? Do I need to apply an etching primer first? Thanks for any help.

paint should stick fine to that pipe, no primer needed. I have used both Stove Bright and Thurmalox on that pipe with good results. spray in well ventilated area.

Wow, I just lifted my hand off the mouse and you replied.
I purchased heat resistant paint from Ace hardware. I would assume this would work as well as the paints you mentioned, am I correct?

Thanks again

i can't say. I've not used that product.....is it recommended for your purpose? I'd think if it s says something like "for grills" you'll be ok. If its for engine blocks...I dunno, certainly going to be heat resistant, but I dont know what may or may not be in there that would be good/bad in a house, you know?

I see what you mean.
It lists substrates as BBQ grills, radiators, space heaters, furnaces, boilers, ovens, steam pipes, air ducts, muffler stacks, manifolds and incinerators.
I would like to use one of the paints you mentioned but my install is tomorrow.

well, being that at least half of those things can or do go inside the house, theres a good chance that paint is just fine. I bet space heaters get much hotter than pellet stove pipes.

I agree. Thanks again for your help.

Dampen a rag really wet with a product like brakekleen and wipe the pipe off really good.
The pipes usually have a oil residue on them.

Or you can get a product like Jam it that is used to prep door jams and such for car painting.

Laquer thinner works well too.

Use outdoors with good ventilation.

Once the pipe is painted, let dry really well before you connect the sections. Tape the sections with high heat foil tape. Works really well to keep smoke leaks from driving you nuts.

A word of caution. I tried to repaint my Whitfields with the stove paint sold at the stove shops.

This caused tghe original paint to bubble and wrinkle up :bug:

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Dampen a rag really wet with a product like brakekleen and wipe the pipe off really good.
The pipes usually have a oil residue on them.

Or you can get a product like Jam it that is used to prep door jams and such for car painting.

Laquer thinner works well too.

Use outdoors with good ventilation.

Once the pipe is painted, let dry really well before you connect the sections. Tape the sections with high heat foil tape. Works really well to keep smoke leaks from driving you nuts.

A word of caution. I tried to repaint my Whitfields with the stove paint sold at the stove shops.

This caused tghe original paint to bubble and wrinkle up :bug:

Snowy

Kevin is fortunate, he is using the ICC pipe which has its own fancy gaskets built in so he wont need the tape or/and RTV to seal each piece, just some for the pipe to the stove, and ICC does a really nice job of not making the pipes all nasty with oils or residues. Lucky Duck.

Kevin C said:
....I was thinking of using a high heat resistant spray paint. Will this kind of paint adhere to the galvanized finish? Do I need to apply an etching primer first?.....

An etching primer isn't needed if you prepare the pipe beforehand.

As I was told by a tech from one of the major pipe manufacturers, the easiest way to prepare the pipe is "pickling" the galvanized. This is simply making a solution of about 50/50 water and white vinegar, and using a rag or sponge, wiping this surface down thoroughly. It will remove any oils, and slightly etch the surface. Rinse completely, and let dry.

You are now ready to paint. I used Rustoleum Hi Heat stove satin paint, and it looked great when I was done....also has never peeled a bit.
www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=112

Here's mine right after I finished painting & assembly:

Attachments

• Exhaust-1.jpg
    Exhaust-1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 202
The dealer I purchased the pipe from said that ICC is his favorite to install. He said Simpson Dura-vent is garbage compared to ICC.

Status
Not open for further replies.