Parts inside a cast iron fireplace that are getting red hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

myth83

Sep 20, 2019
Germany
Hello everyone,I am curious, is that a bad sign of a part inside the firebox of a cast iron wood burning stove/fireplace is getting red hot for about an hour or so?

It happened to me last evening, there is this piece at the front that is there to keep wood and/or coals from rolling out to the glass doors, it is also cast iron as the complete fireplace is (Jotul I400)- at some point I have noticed that a glowing coal from the fire sits on top of it and a part of it was starting to glow red (about 3 inch long).

I immediately opened the door and moved the coals away from it with a poker, a few minutes later the glowing has stopped.

Was I firing my fireplace too hot?

I know the saying that NOTHING in the stove should get to the point that it glows red, and that is a bad sign of over-heating.

Any input is as always appreciated:)

Thank you!

I don't have experience with your model of stove . . . but I can tell you I've never seen any metal in my Oslo glowing red hot and I've had a few hot fires over the years.

Reactions: myth83
I had to look up the model. I like the way it looks. While I agree that anything hot enough to glow inside a stove is not good ( catalytic combuster excluded) I don’t think any damage was done. The piece in question it there to keep wood off the glass by having wood and coals on it. Even if it hot enough to sag it will still functional. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Evan.

Thank you all for the replies, yes it happened only once and the part did not let to glow for more than maybe a little less than an hour before I moved the hot coals that were sitting on top of that grate part away.

I now have a thermometer installed with a magnet on the front cast iron of the fireplace it is not the most accurate (probably because of positioning), and just me an idea but not a real temp. Reading.

Next times I should just be more cautious.

In general, the concern with glowing parts is directed towards external parts like the flue collar. It is normal to get the internal air tubes and even the baffle board to glow red in a standard noncat tube stove.

I wouldn’t want future readers in a panic!

I can’t speak for the above fireplace in question but the burn tubes on my Jøtul F600 stove glow every time I fire it. I believe we have previously established, on Hearth, that this is pretty common.

In general, the concern with glowing parts is directed towards external parts like the flue collar. It is normal to get the internal air tubes and even the baffle board to glow red in a standard noncat tube stove.

I wouldn’t want future readers in a panic!

So bottom line is that as long as my fireplace (or stove) external parts are not glowing red, it’s completely normal if my grate or other internal parts does.

My fireplace is indeed non-cat with a secondary burn (“clean-burn” as Jotul names it) feature.

Thanks everyone for the clarifications, as I said before - still learning :)

So bottom line is that as long as my fireplace (or stove) external parts are not glowing red, it’s completely normal if my grate or other internal parts does.

My fireplace is indeed non-cat with a secondary burn (“clean-burn” as Jotul names it) feature.

Thanks everyone for the clarifications, as I said before - still learning :)
It is normal for the tubes and even the ceramic baffle of a standard noncat to glow. Those other parts you mention are unique to your stove so if they are glowing you might want to inquire with the your dealer.