PE Summit Insert..Not burning as complete as before.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davidon

Dec 17, 2011
MD
Getting coal build up that is starting to stack up resulting in less room for wood. is this an indication of cleaning needed of baffle or other parts? I'm cranking up the air as well but does to seem to help the build up overall.

It is common for burning some hardwoods at full blast. Oak givrs a lot of coals.

Wood that's too wet can do so too, though.

I get this when burning locust. Several people are reporting this now as they push for more heat during cold weather.
Rake the coals forward, open up the air to 50% and put a couple thin 2" splits on top. This will help burn the coals down faster while still providing heat.

Reactions: Trevor Tahclep
Yes, my first two days with locust here, and I'm doing that right now with some pine...
Full air though in my stove. Gets the coals white hot.

Rake the coals forward, open up the air to 50% and put a couple thin 2" splits on top.
In my F45 I spread the coals in the back then put a couple 2 "ers EW in the back on the coals. Get a good reburn most times. If I put them 2" oak splits and the coals up front, I get large "clinkers " to clean out

Sometimes you just need to take the coals out to put fresh wood in.

Be careful with them. Metal container with a tight lid. Move them outside and set in a spot they can’t cause a fire.

I’m having the same problem with my T5 and trying the same things. I use pine on the coal bed to try to burn it down faster. The problem is most of my wood is 16+” and the t5 is 15” EW so I need to chop down the pine to 14” or so to get it to fit.

I’m having the same problem with my T5 and trying the same things. I use pine on the coal bed to try to burn it down faster. The problem is most of my wood is 16+” and the t5 is 15” EW so I need to chop down the pine to 14” or so to get it to fit.
I'd just lay them on top, diagonally.

Reactions: Trevor Tahclep
I guess I’ll start doing that. I already have the chop saw ready because my last stove was an Englander nc30 20x20 firebox so some of my firewood needs to be chopped down a couple inches.