PE Summit Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzyk

Oct 24, 2008
schoharie county ny
About a week ago I noticed some of the finish flaking off the top of my PE Summit stove. This stove is only a few months old so I must say I'm a bit disappointed. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

A second question for Summit owners- the small baffle that sits just inside the door and covers the air holes is getting quite badly warped- is this normal? Does look like it will affect operation but once again its a bit upsetting.

Thanks for all your help

Chris

PS I am loving burn times I can get with this stove :cheese:

Zzyk said:
About a week ago I noticed some of the finish flaking off the top of my PE Summit stove. This stove is only a few months old so I must say I'm a bit disappointed. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

A second question for Summit owners- the small baffle that sits just inside the door and covers the air holes is getting quite badly warped- is this normal? Does look like it will affect operation but once again its a bit upsetting.

Thanks for all your help

Chris

PS I am loving burn times I can get with this stove :cheese:

sounds like you are running your stove very hot..
yes the air hole cover has warped a little but nothing i wouldn't expect you can get that replaced just call your dealer
now the top of the stove flaking??? would def call the dealer as i don't believe that is normal

Zzyk said:

The small baffle on the bottom inside the door is not warped after one plus years running my Alderlea T6 which is the same firebox. I would contact the dealer on that one. I had a Super 27 which is the smaller version in the Summit and had to paint the top of the stove each summer with a good stove paint. Is the top baffle in the correct position? They can come loose during shipping.

Are you able to control the fire? After mine gets going, I leave the draft open 1/2 to 1 width of the lever unless it is warmer out then it gets shut all the way.

Twelve below outside when I got home and after a 9 hour burn the house was 68 degrees. The wind died thankfully. Banked snow up on the foundation too.
Love that stove

Not normal, see some of this warped boost manifold: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30126/

I spoke with the PE tech support, and they reportedly have now reduced the width of the boost manifold due to this warping issue. It heats up, expands up against the inner door frame, and has no where to expand, so it bends.... No harm with using the stove with the warped boost manifold per PE tech.

Will be replaced under warranty, though i have been waiting weeks for the part, my dealer lost track, then reported that the part was backordered, could have been the dealers excuse for not following thru. Or it could be true.

I tried unsuccessfully to straighten it out, the little bit that i did , it rewarped again. It needs to be grinded shorter if you are successful at straightening it out.

That is definitely not normal! Mine stayed straight as it should. Maybe grid the ends a bit until the new one arrives. I also clean behind the boost manifold whenever I clean ash out of the stove.

Thanks for all the help!

Madison- That looks just like mine. Also near the left holes it is bowed out quite bad (I clean behind it whenever I can). I'll put a call in to the dealer tomorrow.

David- I seem to have good fire control. Stove cruises nicely right around the "L" on the ash lip. A good load will burn for 8+ hours then leave a huge coal bed, that, in moderately cold weather, will heat the area for another 6+ hours.

I can't keep the whole house warm in very cold weather, but I think that's more of a problem with the house than anything else. Its -1 F right now and I have both stoves running.

Thanks again
Chris

My little baffle in front hasn't warped on me and I have had the thing hot enough that I get a few minutes of secondary action out of the primary.

Now the big baffle on top warped a little bit right off the bat, but hasn't gotten any worse.

Burn times are crazy aren't they? People just don't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.