Pellet Insert to fit my Hearth Opening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor

Sep 26, 2009
Washington
I'm looking to replace a 17 year old Whitfield pellet insert but am having difficulty finding a unit that will fit into my hearth opening. The opening is 36 wide by 25 tall. The issue is primarily with the height. The existing stove does not have any sort of zero clearance kit, and that's the problem - the stove is simply sitting in the opening. I've looked at several inserts, but once a zero clearance kit is factored in, I need 30 inches of height. I'm guessing that's why my homes previous owner of failed to use a zero clearance kit.

Any suggestions on a stove that I can get into a 25 inch tall opening?

you have a "builder's box" fireplace? Not a masonary fireplace, is that correct? The Harman Accentra Insert only needs 24" but the zero clearance box must recess 1" down into the opening so that the unit sits flush to the hearth. This may work for you. Some pics of what you have may help us all along.

Welcome to the forum!

Can you consider setting a pellet stove just in front of the fireplace opening?

Take a look at Quadrafire. The Castile may work for you. I know I had a narrow opening to work with and just had taken the surround for the unit to a local heating contractor and had them bend it to the size that I needed. Their site says unit fits in a 24 3/16" high opening with an outside height of 24 3/4".

Thanks Future Farmer, I spoke to my local Quadra-Fire dealer & he thinks the Castile will fit in my opening. He says no type of zero clearance kit / heat shroud is required for the back of the stove as long as you have the minimum clearances to combustibles. Does that sound correct????

check your town/city building dept. for what your local code is. My insert just fit code limits of combustibles in range (ie, the carpet) by .025 of an inch

Status
Not open for further replies.