Pellet Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buc White

Sep 13, 2012
Connecticut
just wondering but maybe i'm paranoid. While burning pellets I would imagine that you would get some kind of pleasent smell while the stove is giving off heat, right? I came home from work about a half hour ago and definately came home to a nice woodsy smell. I have a carbon monoxide and smoke alarm on the wall going up the stairs from the basement stove room. I test it every week and it is operational. Am I being paranoid about CO and smoke? Do different brands give off different scents?

I am currently burning Logik-e's on Low which are definately keeping the house warm. 44 outside, 72 in the basement stove room, 70 on the main floor, 68 on the bedrooms floor

What's the exhaust look like ? I don't think being concerned is being paranoid. CO kills...plain and simple - best of all you won't know it.
One thing I don't like about pellet exhaust systems is often people just exit them out the side of the house - not realizing that homes usually have the in cling to suck in air from the outside - hence why the pellet exhaust should never be located too close to doors and windows - where drafts can occurr.
At least you have both a CO and smoke detector - and you test them periodically.

the exhaust is 12 inches out of the foundation, 18 inches high off of a non combustable surface, and approximately 48 inches away from a window. the pipe is angled down at a 45 degree angle. i dont have an outside air kit either

Most times this smell is caused by a leak in the venting. The stove adapter is a good place to start looking.

With a bright flashlight, open the left side panels and inspect the adapter and all internal joints with the flashlight. The stove has a negative pressure firebox, but a positive pressure exhaust system. There should be no smell of smoke/wood/etc.

It may be necessary to remove the little black fan on the back of your combustion blower. Its gonna be moving air around, making it difficult to see any smoke.

Your only gonna see smoke for a short while. Once a fire is established. All smoke will disappear and you will have to shutdown/cooldown and try it again. (Or unplug stove, replug in, light smoke bomb, place in firebox. Be careful doing this).

the tech cameout this morning. He did a smokey start up and found that the T joint was leaking. He sealed all the joints for piece of mind. I actually liked the smell, but i like my life alittle better. thanks for the assistance all

Status
Not open for further replies.