Pellet Stove newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meggiekelli

Oct 30, 2014
CT
Hi just bought a Quadrafire classic bay insert and just looking for general tips. I am looking to purchase an ash vac this week or next and was wondering everyones input. Best quality or brand to go for?
Thank You in advance!

Welcome, Meggiekelli, to this forum and to pellet stove ownership !! Lot's of Quad owners on this forum to help you. Lot's of discussion threads on vacs you can read up on using search box in the upper right corner of the page. Here's a link that will get you started with lots of ideas. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/favorite-ash-vac-for-pellet-stoves.92560/ As always, "some people like Ford's, some like Chevy's". So there are many options on the market. The other 'disclaimer' you will hear regularly on this forum is "YMMV" - your mileage (results) may vary.

Arguably the safest system is to use a vac specifically designed for wood stove ashes - probably starting around $90 - $100. Many fellow 'Yankee frugalists' like myself have gone with a cheapo $35 shop vac and added a $30 HEPPA filter and drywall dust bag to filter the very fine fly ash that pellet stoves produce. The caveat with a non-ash rated vacuum is that the ashes HAVE TO BE COLD TO THE TOUCH. Even after doing that, I still put my shop vac out on the stone walkway outside and away from the house after I use it - JUST IN CASE.

Having to call in on my rescue squad radio to report a fully involved structure fire :ZZZfrom my ash vacuum catching fire inside our farmhouse would be an experience I will do everything I can to avoid.

One of the many good things about a Quad is that they draft so well that the pellet combustion is very complete, (assuming decent pellet quality, and that it is kept clean and is appropriately vented), so the ash is generally very fine and cools pretty quickly. You will love your CB - happy burning :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Big papa
Welcome enjoy your new stove.if you were a previous wood burner,you will love the ease of the pellet stove to operate over a wood stove.

Key issue to stove ownership is read the manual. Learn all you can about your stove and its functions. And they can't be clean enough! A clean stove is a happy stove. With this being your first stove, you will have to periodically check ash content in exhaust pathway. This means thru the stove and the exhaust pipe. Eventually you will know how often you need to clean your stove. Lots depends on the fuel you are burning. One of the first things I would do is to remove your pot bolts, and put some high-temp anti-seize grease on them and put them back in. Will save you some headaches down the road. And make sure you put thermocouple and cover back in same place, making sure the thermocouple is touching the inside end of the cover. Hopefully they just don't move when you do this.Hope you have years of enjoyment. Stay warm. kap

Last edited:
Reactions: DMKNLD
Meggiekelli - Kap is one of the many Quadrafire 'disciples' who 'preach the gospel' on this forum. He, among others, have forgotten more about Quad operation and troubleshooting than most of us Quad owners will ever know ! Heed his understated wisdom and service tech experience.!

For my wood stoves and my pellet stoves the Powersmith can't be beat. Reasonably priced with an ember proof filter, overheat shutdown and if stuff happens the replacement for the filter is ten bucks.

I love that thang. No more ash in the air from all of those shop vac things I have tried over the years.

For my wood stoves and my pellet stoves the Powersmith can't be beat. Reasonably priced with an ember proof filter, overheat shutdown and if stuff happens the replacement for the filter is ten bucks.
I love that thang. No more ash in the air from all of those shop vac things I have tried over the years.
X2 plus it can clean your whole house!!

When I eventually kill my 6 gallon Quiet Series shop vac, probably from fly ash seizing the motor windings after too many overfilled dust bags, I'll get a Powersmith also.;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.