pellet vent temp range

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyingling

Aug 13, 2010
south central PA
I can't seem to find anything on the internet regarding the typical operating temperature of a pellet vent. I know there has to be a high and low range based on the stove setting. Any idea?

Well, the sealer requirements I've seen are for silicone rated to 500°F so the maximum operating temp measured from the outer pipe wall must be under that, right ?

I take it you are talking about the exhaust temp of the stove or output temp?

Most stoves use a Proof Of Fire switch to signal the control panel the stove is burning. That temp is above 120ºF or the stove will shutdown. So the minimum is at least 120ºF. Looking at the rating on the vent pipe itself the pipe is rated to not exceed 570ºF. So the overall range could be from 120º to 570ºF. The quality of the fuel you burn effects the temps greatly.

Edit: corrected pipe temp max is 570ºF

Hope this helps

I was installing my stove today and I was having trouble finding 500 degree RTV silicone. The RTV is silicone is rated for up to 450 degrees continuous and 500 degrees occasional exposure. I found some 100 % silicone with a service temp up to 400 degrees. This was the reason for my question. Even though it was 75 in south central PA today, I had to fire it up. Thanks for the input.

to pass safety testing at the listing facility pellet exhaust temps cannot exceed 500F + ambient in other words the temp of the exhaust leaving the stove cannot be higher than 500F plus whatever the room temp at the time of the test is. 570F is the generally accepted max temp which is why the pipe companies tend to use that number

gyingling said:
I was installing my stove today and I was having trouble finding 500 degree RTV silicone. The RTV is silicone is rated for up to 450 degrees continuous and 500 degrees occasional exposure. I found some 100 % silicone with a service temp up to 400 degrees. This was the reason for my question. Even though it was 75 in south central PA today, I had to fire it up. Thanks for the input.

somthing else to think about the measurement is of the gasses transiting the pipe not the "skin temp" the RTV you mention would probably be fine , bear in mind that most folks dont run their stoves flat out 24/7. i have used 450 RTV at home and at work and have had no issues at all

I used the 100% silicone with a service temp of 400 degrees, and it didn't melt off or burn up.

Attachments

• IMG_20100905_182828-1.jpg
    IMG_20100905_182828-1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 299
Status
Not open for further replies.