Pellets How many?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robzheat

Sep 30, 2006
So , How many pellets has everyone burned so far this season.

Type -
Amount -

23 bags. Canadian Premium NEWP

Robzheat said:
So , How many pellets
has everyone burned so far this season.

Type -
Amount -

You asked us but forgot to put what you've burned.

12 Bags in 11 days.

I'm On Cape Cod. This Saturday night/Sunday morning I burned 1/2 again as much overnight due to the outside temp. and wind.

---Nailer---

I've burned about 42-44 bags since the beginning of the heating season.

Robzheat said:

I have a Harman XXV and burned 32 bags but was out of town for 11 days. This is my first season with pellet stove. Does the XXV burned more pellets than other stoves? it appears from this posting.

1100 LBS of corn at a cost of $67

40 bags of NE hardwood pellets between 2 stoves. Usage is way above what it was last year at this time, but i've added a 2nd pellet stove and a couple fans to move the heat around. In adding the extra fans I have been able to run one of my Rinnai propane units a lot less...resulting in some savings there.
I started the season with close to 4 tons thinking taht would be more than enough. however, at the current pace I willl run out by late March. (debating on whether I should take my chance or buy another 1/2 ton now)

WarmInNH said:
I have a Harman XXV and burned 32 bags but was out of town for 11 days.
This is my first season with pellet stove. Does the XXV burned more pellets
than other stoves? it appears from this posting.

It's impossible to gauge it that way. Some people started burning
sooner than others. Some people live where they may have only had
to burn at night until recently. Some people may keep their homes
warmer/cooler. Some days many folks may not have had to burn at all due to
warm outside temperatures.

I started burning Oct 29th. There have been at least a half dozen
days between now and then that I shut down the stove due to
warm outside temps. Even on cold days, at about midnight I kick
it down to the lowest setting which burns 1.2 lbs of pellets an hour.
Too many other things that dictate how many lbs people burn through.
Just like the savings thing, everyones scenario will be different.

WarmInNH said:
Robzheat said:

I have a Harman XXV and burned 32 bags but was out of town for 11 days. This is my first season with pellet stove. Does the XXV burned more pellets than other stoves? it appears from this posting.

Where are you Robzheat?

The XXV does not burn any more than other stoves. There are many many variables on how fast
or slow it takes someone to go through their pellets.
Like insulation, house size, climate...etc.

zeta said:
It's impossible to gauge it that way. Some people started burning
sooner than others. Some people live where they may have only had
to burn at night until recently. Some people may keep their homes
warmer/cooler. Some days many folks may not have had to burn at all due to
warm outside temperatures.

I started burning Oct 29th. There have been at least a half dozen
days between now and then that I shut down the stove due to
warm outside temps. Even on cold days, at about midnight I kick
it down to the lowest setting which burns 1.2 lbs of pellets an hour.
Too many other things that dictate how many lbs people burn through.
Just like the savings thing, everyones scenario will be different.

How much of a difference do the type of pellets burned make? My home is overall 3400 sq. ft. but I am really only trying to heat the 1st floor which is about 1800 sq ft. At night I point a fan up the stairs to try and get the heat upstairs while we sleep. Still learning by trying different things. Hoping to save on my propane costs. Have not had to turn on my downstairs furnace if the stove is on.

WarminNH, try putting the fan upstairs pointing down stairs. I have had better luck moving the cold air down then forceing the warmer lighter air up. As you force the air down the warm air will move up and replace it.

TK

Maybe 45 bags so far (started burning in Oct). Did a full clean on Sunday.

About 42 bages of NEWP green lettering. Been burning since Sep 27th - 24hrs / 7 days a week on auto setting. NG burned = 0.

I bought only 3 tons and now I'm figuring if this is a cold year I'll need 5. I'm contemplating burning some corn, even though a recent quote for more wood from www.pelletsales.com looks reasonable enough.

To compensate I knocked the daytime temp down 1 degree and I extended the night time 3 degree drop off by several hours, I may increase cleanings to ensure absolute maximum efficiency.

I was just online last night trying to research degree day units for Boston for Nov/Dec ... it's looking like last year was relatively warm and this year (first one with the stove) is going to very hard to calculate savngs based on the fact that my house is stoking at about 73 degrees nowadays where as last year it was 62 degrees.

I know there's several threads about the BtU calculators and all that, but my temp profile is so different it may be impossible to calculate how much i would have spent otherwise. Maybe 2008 will look more like 2006 than 2007. Looking for an apples to apples comparison.

20 bags either green Supreme or Cubex, replaced my Harman Advance with a Breckwell 2000 I picked up this summer. I might use the Harman in the basement or sell it. What's the going price for a ton? Picked up where I live they go for around $265.

Status
Not open for further replies.