Please help ID this log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dantree

Sep 7, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Someone a mile from me has a number of three foot diameter trunk sections of this but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to split. I managed to get a piece off the side.

What is it?

Thanks guys,
Dan

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 189
Heck. I dunno. Better picture of the bark would help. A leaf would seal the deal.

Ash, maybe? I don't have much ash, so I dunno.

Heck. I dunno. Better picture of the bark would help. A leaf would seal the deal.

Ash, maybe? I don't have much ash, so I dunno.
Yeah, that pic doesn't show much. Bark pic and end grain might help. Pretty sure it's not Ash though. It doesn't look to be anything very substantial...maybe some shoulder season wood. On the plus side, it might dry a bit more quickly than a denser wood, if you are going to need it soon. Logs are generally not very dry inside...

Looks Sprucey to me.

The yellow looks like fresh split mulberry,but mulberry usually yellow all the way through not just heart

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
By looking at the bark it almost looks like honey locust. Color looks about right. Was it heavy?

Mulberry. Yellowish heart,white sapwood,open coarse sometimes wavy/irregular grain that looks like Red Oak/White Ash.

Reactions: ScotO
I'm thinking mulberry too, fellas. Not like any honey locust I've seen before, at least around here. Honey locust has more of a salmon-colored heartwood. Grain isn't right for honey locust, either.

I can't ID the log without a better look at the bark. If you're taking more pics then a shot of the end grain, in addition to the shot you already have, would be great. I always want to ID the wood I am cutting, but in this case knowing what it is wouldn't affect my decision - I'd take rounds of ANY wood. You can hardly find easier firewood than big rounds already cut and waiting for you. it doesn't look like Cottonwood, Willow, or Ailanthus, which might be the exceptions to my general rule 'take any free wood.'

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Smell it! To me fresh split mulberry smells like root beer almost a sweet smell. It does look like mulberry tho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mulberry. Yellowish heart,white sapwood,open coarse sometimes wavy/irregular grain that looks like Red Oak/White Ash.

Can mulberry get 3-4 feet in diameter? It's very heavy.

I'll take a couple better pics.

Dan

I am thinking Black Locust.

Yes. I got a Mulberry scrounge last year that was 36" diameter

Oh yeah I've seen a few 3 footers in isolated spots like old fields,pastures,forest edges,older neighborhoods.

Can mulberry get 3-4 feet in diameter? It's very heavy.

I'll take a couple better pics.

Dan
OK, disregard my first post. ;lol Mulberry is great stuff...and it is yellow and has rough, flaky bark. I got some for the first time this year but it was from a couple of small trees...maybe 8-10".

Hmm let's see, honey Locust bark with the grain and heartwood of mulberry yea it looks like you have some honey berry there. Grab all you can great overnight burns but sparks a lot.

here are two more shots. it was very tough to split. i guess I should use a wedge and sledge hammer on a piece that big?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    454.6 KB · Views: 141
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 146
Still looks like bl to me.

It looks like smokinJ called it " Black Locust "

You have some very good firewood there, you lucky dog!

I say it still looks like Mulberry. A real old gnarly one with bark to match. Mostly because I see yellowish tinge to the bark and the end has turned classic MB red. Wood expect BL to be more brown on the end.

Maybe you best rent a splitter for that. Looks ugly!

2 of the best woods you can get.

Still looks like bl to me.
That bark is classic. I've never seen one that big though, more like 12-14". The BL I've gotten had nowhere near that thickness of sapwood. :eek:
Nice get, J!
dantree, you've hit the jackpot! :cool: How much do you figure is there to be gotten?

Status
Not open for further replies.