Posting pictures help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemac

Mar 10, 2008
Maine
Hello

I am trying to post some pictures but get the error message that 450 KB is the maximum
Each photo I have is 3.5 MB ( Iphoto on IMAC) in the .jpeg format.

Any way to 'reformat' the picture to keep it under the 450 KB level?

Thanks

Tom

mainemac if you store photos is one of those free online places like photo bucket or flicker that's a big help too.

They let you crop and edit photos...pretty sure we use 600x800 so it doesn't make the page side scroll.

ilikewood said:

Seems like an awful lot of extra work and complexity for novice users, but I'm all for people learning new things.

Myself, I used to do stuff like that all the time until it got tedious every time I sat down at a new computer and found it didn;t have my apps on it, so I just use MSPaint. Its in every copy of Windows ever made, its free and it works every time.

Open the image in paint, click the Image menu and choose the Stretch/Skew menu item. Reduce the image size in the top two boxes to a percentage smaller than 100%, then do a File Save As and rename the image so you keep your original. A few trial and error attempts and you'll soon get a very easy sense of what you need to reduce your images by...for me using 9 megapixel images, if I reduce them to 22% original, it works every time.

I find that viewing and editing your photos with Picassa (free download) is pretty simple. From the Picassa editor, select "export Picture," and it gives you the option to resize the photo and save a copy of that smaller image. That is the one you want to post.

iPhoto and Picasa are very similar programs. Since you're on the Mac and already using iPhoto, I would suggest sticking with that.

iPhoto has a feature to export your image. I think exporting will give you the option to resize the image down to a smaller size.

Also, rename them to .jpg instead of .jpeg so that you'll be more consistent with the way things are done on the web.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.