Prefab removal and wall transition ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I would like to remove my prefab Majestic fireplace (mid-80's vintage) and chimney and replace it with a class A chimney. My delimma is what to do with the wall where the fireplace currently exits. My goal is to continue to use my freestanding woodstove (Jotul 3CB) so I am leaning away from installing a modern fireplace or insert.

I have considered the option of building an alcove back into the chase but my chase width would not be suitable for sliding my stove back in to it. So much indicision around that option that I need to move on. I'm thinking the simplest option is to remove the fireplace, sheetrock over the hole, install the class A pipe, and transition the class A into a thimble of some sort behind the freestanding. I rear vent my stove now.

Here's what I have now. Hearth is slate on concrete slab. I have a piece of black sheetmetal laying in front of the prefab. I'd remove the brick and mantle. I'll try to get another picture tonight that shows the height of the wall (cathedral ceiling peak is right above stove)

DSCF0115post.JPG

How does the class A (like Duravent) transition into a thimble? Do I first need another firestop or pipe support near the bottom to secure the pipe, then use a Duravent 90 elbow to turn into the thimble?

Here's a shot looking up into my chase. You can see the upper support for the existing chimney. I assume I would just run Duravent up through that too.
DSCF0231post.JPG

The insulation is not as close to the pipe as the angle of the picture suggests.

Wahoo, thats a great looking install! I would just pull it and Sheetrock over it. While your at it, i would rock the inside of that chase to keep the insulation from ever potentially falling on the pipe. You can also make a shallow alcove, and push the stove a little further back to maintain your side clearances, that would look nice too.

I like the pic with the cat in it . . . seems as though he/she is truly enjoying the heat.

that cat enjoys the stove even more than I do

Chicken wire would work, and certainty be easer. Dry wall is the standard when you have the proper clearance. If the insulation is so close that you need chicken wire to make clearance, then sure. I cant believe im saying this.. but good call pook!

there is no "thimble" per sey, it's a tee at the bottom and thru the wall into the liv rm. sheet rock is best if you have the space. Your fire stop does not appear complete, it looks like the insulation goes right by the stop, that area should be solid wood

Status
Not open for further replies.