Prefabricated fireplace installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arstreamp

Jan 9, 2011
Oakland, CA
Hi all!

My name is Ann and I just joined the forum, I’m a new comer to prefabricated fireplace installation. I’m still trying to understand it all and our little company (just me and my husband) is still navigating through all the different ways to approach the industry. It’s a tough economy! I was wondering – for those of you involved in the industry (especially veterans) business owner or not, what are some of services, tools, strategies, or latest resources you find helpful or profitable in doing your work or - business? Online or offline, I’m sure there is quite a lot in both right?!

Thanks and God bless!

Ann,

There is a lot of info available through the educational foundations of our trade org!

http://hpbef.org/

They have courses and certifications, etc.

Realistically, most of the work involved are carpentry and remodeling skills. We can add some common sense in there, as well as the ability to read and graph the installation manuals on each unit.

I've been in the biz for 30 years...and if there is one piece of advice I would give about fireplace installation approaches, it would be NOT to chase the low end of the market. Back when, I knew companies that were installing fireplaces for builders for $75.00 each!

It would be better to hone your design and building skills and cater to those who want a bit more than the minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.