Preparing for the next cold snap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can use the frost king window film, but just get the film and purchase the 3M tape separately. Hog is exactly right here, there is a big difference in quality between 3M and all others we tried. For big windows I got the film sheets made for French doors. They covered our 10' x 5' picture windows without seams.
I did the same with the french door film, unfortunately my windows in the office are almost 7-1/2 feet tall and stacked 3 sections wide. Had to pc it all together, but still works great.

Thanks very much for the tips and advice. Greatly appreciate it.

As for the little bugs getting through your screens-- have you looked into getting smaller mesh screening material? The only place I have tiny little speck bugs getting in is the one window that's a bit loose, so I'm sure they're getting in through the cracks and not the screen. When I had to replace some of the previous owners' fabric screens on the porch because my cats were tearing holes in them, I was surprised at the range of screening materials and mesh sizes out there.

You can use the frost king window film, but just get the film and purchase the 3M tape separately. Hog is exactly right here, there is a big difference in quality between 3M and all others we tried. For big windows I got the film sheets made for French doors. They covered our 10' x 5' picture windows without seams.
Got it. Many thanks. I'm not sure what's available around here because I've never looked, but 3M tape is of course everywhere.

If you are going to do the window film consider doing it this way.
I have done about half of my windows so far.
Once they are done you can just put them in and take them out as needed.
The windows with out the interior storm get a lot of condensation,
the windows with them get none.
PDR_0002.JPG

If you are going to do the window film consider doing it this way.
I have done about half of my windows so far.
Once they are done you can just put them in and take them out as needed.
The windows with out the interior storm get a lot of condensation,
the windows with them get none.
View attachment 122847

Oh, wow, that's really interesting. I wonder whether my old window frames are even enough at this point for that to work, but I'll definitely look into it. What a great idea.

After I bought this place some 8 years ago, I realized to my horror that the original 1900 windows (multi-paned with mostly uneven period glass) in the kitchen "wing" had no storms at all, so I had some exterior storms made of hard plastic made to fit over them outside. The windows are north-facing and can't be opened anyway, so no loss of ventilation in summer from doing this. I've been impressed as hell by how good they are-- the inside windows aren't the least bit cold even in mid-winter temperature plunges, and the kitchen is a good deal less cold since I got them put up.

Remember "The Graduate" and "Plastic!"? Those of us with green leanings tend to be a bit contemptuous of it, but I'm becoming a bit of a fan for some applications anyway.

Thanks very much for the idea.

I wonder whether my old window frames are even enough at this point for that to work, but I'll definitely look into it.

There is 1/2" foam weather strip on all four sides to seal, that should accommodate any unevenness.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I just put blankets up over all my bay windows (4) and sliding doors outside (3). Using thumb tacks to hold them up.

My stove does fine as long as it is above 10F outside. Go below that and add some wind chill and the encore can't keep up very well.

The blankets have helped increase inside temps about 2 degrees.

Thanks very much for the tips and advice. Greatly appreciate it.

As for the little bugs getting through your screens-- have you looked into getting smaller mesh screening material? The only place I have tiny little speck bugs getting in is the one window that's a bit loose, so I'm sure they're getting in through the cracks and not the screen. When I had to replace some of the previous owners' fabric screens on the porch because my cats were tearing holes in them, I was surprised at the range of screening materials and mesh sizes out there.
Ive thought about that, will have to check into it. Wondering if the view is even worse through a smaller mesh screen? Oh well I can look through the un-screeened window next to it. Won't have to worry bout it till summer.
I just got back from Home Depot and picked up a Frost King small window kit to patch the hole I made for the AC unit. They didn't have the 3M kits. I think I got the 3M kits at the local hardware store. I will hopefully have enough 3M tape left over from before. They give you quite a bit, and there is usually some left over. I did use a bunch to seal a door to the unfinished addition off. I used plastic lawn garbage bags cut on the side seams and opened it up to use to seal the doorway LOL. Works though.

We have over 40 windows on our home, and getting insulated panels is something we will be slowly doing. We have vinyl double hung windows, and storm windows outside of those, but all the glass in the house you can feel it. When I did my daughters nursery, I used those insulated curtains and there was a difference. The only issue is price, when you have a lot of windows.

I've got a few blankets hanging over doors I don't use in the winter ( 6 entries in this splanch !! )

The PE is in the den, with 28 YO Anderson's. Ive been looking for inexpensive heavy twin blankets that I can sew up a curtain rod pocket on with the sewing machine (yes, Dix sews ;) ). Haven't found any yet.

The film may be a good idea for those. I'm gonna look for some. I think I still have a hair dryer in this joint, some where :p

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I've got a few blankets hanging over doors I don't use in the winter ( 6 entries in this splanch !! )

The PE is in the den, with 28 YO Anderson's. Ive been looking for inexpensive heavy twin blankets that I can sew up a curtain rod pocket on with the sewing machine (yes, Dix sews ;) ). Haven't found any yet.

The film may be a good idea for those. I'm gonna look for some. I think I still have a hair dryer in this joint, some where :p
For blankets, you can't do better for heat/cold barriers than mover's blankets, which are ugly but come in a lot of different sizes and are very affordable. I use a number of them that my movers left behind in various places, and they're superb. Where it matters, like where I've blocked off the steep, narrow stairway to 2nd floor right across from the stove in my front room, I've hung an inexpensive discount store quilt also on the room side, so it's decorative rather than plug ugly. I can't recommend them highly enough. They really do the job. (Added bonus, the house critters can go through such hangings easily, unlike an actual door which would need a drafty pet flap.)

Reactions: Dix
Ive thought about that, will have to check into it. Wondering if the view is even worse through a smaller mesh screen? Oh well I can look through the un-screeened window next to it. Won't have to worry bout it till summer.
I just got back from Home Depot and picked up a Frost King small window kit to patch the hole I made for the AC unit. They didn't have the 3M kits. I think I got the 3M kits at the local hardware store. I will hopefully have enough 3M tape left over from before. They give you quite a bit, and there is usually some left over. I did use a bunch to seal a door to the unfinished addition off. I used plastic lawn garbage bags cut on the side seams and opened it up to use to seal the doorway LOL. Works though.
Yeah, the view is definitely worse, so it's bugs versus view, unfortunately. But if like me you screen some windows and not others, it may work OK for you.

Re your doorway, see my post above on the terrific utility of mover's blankets, which can be taken down and stored away for the summer.

I'm thinking fleecy blankets. Maybe even throws, as 63" curtains more than take care of the windows.

*brain just went into over load* I wonder if I could just go to Wally World or Joanne's, and get the material & sew 'em up quick?

I just took whatever I had laying around the house yesterday (fleece throws, comforters, heavy blankets) and used thumb tacks until this cold spell is over. Made an immediately improvement in heat retention.

Reactions: gyrfalcon and Dix
I'm thinking fleecy blankets. Maybe even throws, as 63" curtains more than take care of the windows.

*brain just went into over load* I wonder if I could just go to Wally World or Joanne's, and get the material & sew 'em up quick?
Dix, you want cutesy, go fleecy blankets. You want effective temperature barriers, get some mover's blankets.

Reactions: Dix
I just took whatever I had laying around the house yesterday (fleece throws, comforters, heavy blankets) and used thumb tacks until this cold spell is over. Made an immediately improvement in heat retention.

My butt ugly ones are hanging over the doorways that need it. Hammer & small nails got the done quick. Hell I even took a piece of left over Tyvek, and stapled it around the outside frame of one door (the worst, it's the basement entry). That made a huge difference !!

Anything helps, probably even toilet paper would help some.:p When I hung the mover's blanket over the staircase,it mdde an almost immediate 5-degree difference in the temperature in my front room, and a couple degrees elsewhere on the 1st floor. Counterintuitively, it also made my 2nd floor rooms a noticeable bit warmer, too, because the stove heat was going right up through the 2nd floor floorboards instead of uselessly shooting up to the 2nd floor ceiling.

Dix, you want cutesy, go fleecy blankets. You want effective temperature barriers, get some mover's blankets.

Gyr, I don't think I have the window issues that you have, by a long shot. And cutesy ain't me, trust me, GF :)

I think a fleecy / heavier would suit the bill, and I pretty much don't care what color, etc. I'm not talking that waffle weave stuff.

Gyr, I don't think I have the window issues that you have, by a long shot. And cutesy ain't me, trust me, GF :)

I think a fleecy / heavier would suit the bill, and I pretty much don't care what color, etc. I'm not talking that waffle weave stuff.
What window issues? My windows are nice and tight, no drafts, and the insulated curtains take care of the rest.

Feel free not to take my advice, but I'm telling you, fleece ain't going to do the job.

Had to use a hairdryer this morning to defrost a freeze up in the baseboard heat. Made the mistake of not leaving it run overnight and with the 2F overnight low and a draft coming through under a wall a/c unit, that will happen in this house with single digit temps if the heat isn't running. Am sealing up around the a/c units but even so, with the next deep freeze due here Tuesday, I'll just leave the heat on at about 68 or 69. Had it at 67 but that must have been too low.

Guess I was lucky, I didn't have a burst pipe, but am experienced enough at this now to realize that if I can clear the freeze up quickly enough, that can be avoided.

Yep. But ours will just be a balmy 0::F.

Status
Not open for further replies.