Price difference between Englander and Summers Heat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokyorange

Jan 10, 2014
Maryville, TN
I am looking to get a inexpensive wood stove for my living room and have decided that the Englander/Summers Heat 13-NC would be the best bang for my buck.
The question I have is why there is a $180 price difference between Home Depot and Lowes for what seems to be the same stove.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englander-1-800-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Stove-13-NCH/100157775# Priced $649
and
http://www.lowes.com/pd_375223-7684...Ntt=wood+stoves&page=1&facetInfo=Summers Heat Priced $829.

I am new to wood stoves, but they look to be the same stove with a huge price difference.
What am I missing?

Usually there is no difference other than what one big box chooses to set for a price vs the other. FYI - Very soon the big boxes will start clearing out stoves to make room for garden stock. This usually starts first in warmer states with earlier springtime.

That Home Depot is a really good deal as looks like they will ship to your local store for free. Shipping and Handling can be as much a $200 sometimes. That price is really good and with free ship to store even a better deal. They are both the same stove so no difference there, just the name. Both made by englander.

There is a small difference. The Summer's Heat models have the somewhat cheezy gold trim. I prefer the plain black stove. Otherwise there is no difference.

FYI, be sure to note the hearth requirements for this stove. It needs a lot of insulation beneath it.

Looks like I'll get it from Home Depot. I don't mind plain black and if I did add trim, it would be nickel.

Thanks for the input, just seemed like a big price difference just for some trim and it is, now got to go buy it.

I will build a hearth for it, 48"x48" and at least an R factor of 2.

It's a good little heater. You should be pleased. For best performance, be sure to have a good supply of well seasoned wood on hand.

Reactions: PapaDave
There is a small difference. The Summer's Heat models have the somewhat cheezy gold trim. I prefer the plain black stove. Otherwise there is no difference.

FYI, be sure to note the hearth requirements for this stove. It needs a lot of insulation beneath it.
I bought the 30 with the Englander name. It also had the gold trim on it. Which is easily removed.

Last edited:
Just don't expect great overnight burns with it with lots of heat. If you have room for it the 30 would get er done. But if you're not looking for overnight burns in the deep cold the 13 will give you some nice heat and ambiance.

He's in TN. The 13NC should be ok for that area as long as the house is not much over 1500 sq ft.

Not worried about overnight burns, just nice warm evenings in the dead of winter when the heat pump is barely keeping up. (like the polar vortex last week when it hit 2 degrees here). Plus my house is just under 1400 square feet.

Not directly about the stove but remember you can get 10% coupons to both places (search the web or the post office). Also Lowes will honor coupon via the internet and will deliver the unit into the house. Saving you the effort!... Just my $.02...

Yep, got me a 10% off Lowes coupon, Home Depot will honor it. Then I went to cardpool.com and bought $600 worth of gift cards for $550, thus saving another $50. The stove should run me $600 out the door.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Yep, got me a 10% off Lowes coupon, Home Depot will honor it. Then I went to cardpool.com and bought $600 worth of gift cards for $550, thus saving another $50. The stove should run me $600 out the door.

Dang your good. Nice stove too.

In general i find that pretty much everything a little or a lot cheaper at HD than it is at lowes. HD products seem to be better quality as well. IMHO

Here local to the midwest Menards is cheaper than Lowes and has really good sales all the time. But I have still spent thousands at Lowes as its on my side of town.Home Depot is a whole town away so I dont get there much.

how long of a burn time can one expect with a 13? 6-7 hrs reasonable and have enough coals to start it back up again? or less? Im looking to get the same stove from my Home Depot too. I don't like the fact they don't have the stove in the store to look at before hand so the only way you can get it is to order it online. I like to physically see what im buying instead of taking a leap of faith.Great tips on the coupon and gift cards, i never thought of that.

If your concerned with getting an over night burn you might be better off getting at least a 2.0 cubic foot firebox.

A complete wood cycle doesnt mean flames the entire time , its been said 50 percent of the heat is at coals only stage.

Whats your square footage to heat? How well is your house insulated?

im heating probably 1000 sq ft, rest is basement which im not worried about keeping warm. House has about 2 ft blown insulation in the attic, new double pane windows and is pretty tight. I was considering the 30 but im thinking that'd be to much and if i burned partial loads it'd burn dirty and i'd have creosote issues. I have a wood furnace but would like to use that for just the coldest part of winter and rely on the stove for the warmer days. Plus it'd be nice to conserve some wood.

The smaller stove would be more your size. With good dry wood and good loading of a hardwoods you should get a 6-7 hour heat cycle out of the stove and sometimes maybe 8 hours .

If your really interested in heating a smaller house and get long burn times look at Cat stoves.

im heating probably 1000 sq ft, rest is basement which im not worried about keeping warm. House has about 2 ft blown insulation in the attic, new double pane windows and is pretty tight. I was considering the 30 but im thinking that'd be to much and if i burned partial loads it'd burn dirty and i'd have creosote issues. I have a wood furnace but would like to use that for just the coldest part of winter and rely on the stove for the warmer days. Plus it'd be nice to conserve some wood.
Small loads dont give dirty burns. They actually tend to burn hotter in my experience. As long as the stove top is above 400 or more i get good secondaries regardless of the amount of wood in the stove. The only way a small stove is practical is if your space holds the heat for a long time. If it cools off fast you need a stove that is putting out heat on a continous basis. A small 2CU ft stove will not do that without constant attention IME.

can you get a cat stove for under a grand? and dont you have to replace the converters every couple years?

Yes, there are several options for under a grand. All would be non-catalytic (no convertor) stoves.

I am not sure if anyone has a Cat stove for under $1000. I have never really looked for cat stoves in the price range. Good Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.