problem with new castille

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mntgirl

Apr 3, 2008
colorado
I just bought a new quadra fire castille. After installation, I got almost no flame and very little heat. I called the place I bought it and the service guy came out. He took everything apart and checked timing, auger, control board etc...all is fine he says. I still have almost no flame (1 inch out of the pot) and had it on all nite on high and still didn't get to 68 degrees even in the living room...(500 sf). He is calling quadra fire and getting back to me. I am so disappointed...I was so excited to get it! Any ideas?????

mntgirl said:
I just bought a new quadra fire castille. After installation, I got almost no flame and very little heat. I called the place I bought it and the service guy came out. He took everything apart and checked timing, auger, control board etc...all is fine he says. I still have almost no flame (1 inch out of the pot) and had it on all nite on high and still didn't get to 68 degrees even in the living room...(500 sf). He is calling quadra fire and getting back to me. I am so disappointed...I was so excited to get it! Any ideas?????
Do you have it on the lowest setting? Also, have you adjusted the feed rate rod to a more generous "drop" of pellets in the pot? Hang in there, you do have a nice stove.

***edited to add***

Ooops, just saw that you have it on a high setting

mntgirl said:
Yes I had it on high......and the service guy said the timing for the pellets was good......
Is there a "feed rod" to adjust for more pellets? That is usually what will adjust the flame up and down for any given setting. The feed rod for my CB1200i is in the hopper. Take a peak in your manual if you havent found it yet.

Fear not Mtngirl, With guys like shooter & this fella called awasumm , who by the way just bought a quadra castile & should be checking in i think shortly , you'll have your stove going great in no time. I'm a newbie myself & got all the help i needed right here on this site . Hang tough & enjoy your stove . Muss Ps. I won't 2nd guess the installer but it sounds like not enuff air but i'm a newbie

muss said:
Fear not Mtngirl, With guys like shooter & this fella called awasumm , who by the way just bought a quadra castile & should be checking in i think shortly , you'll have your stove going great in no time. I'm a newbie myself & got all the help i needed right here on this site . Hang tough & enjoy your stove . Muss Ps. I won't 2nd guess the installer but it sounds like not enuff air but i'm a newbie
Very well could be air flow.

Mtngirl, if there is ample pellet flow and airflow then the next problem to check on would be moist/bad batch of pellets.

Thanks so much everyone! ok....adjusted the feedrod already. There seems to be enough airflow....just no flame. I bought premium pellets just like they told me to...but will go to Ace Hardware after work and get another type of pellet and try that.....

mntgirl said:
Thanks so much everyone! ok....adjusted the feedrod already. There seems to be enough airflow....just no flame. I bought premium pellets just like they told me to...but will go to Ace Hardware after work and get another type of pellet and try that.....
Mtngirl, are the pellets you've been using appearing to be longer in length than they should be? If they are too long they can "bridge" in the auger and stop the flow which leads to a flameout or low flame.....worst case, can cram your auger causing damage. I've had bridging cause a flameout ovenight.

mntgirl said:
Hi Shooter
No they actually aren't too long.....maybe a quarter inch or a little more.....
One more question......when you say the flame isnt much higher than the firepot (1"??).....is that flame a bright orange almost white down in the firepot? Can you see the swirling action of the air coming through the vent holes?

There is no "timing" on the Castile, unless hes talking about the dial on the Control board which only has two settings and it could never really be "wrong".

You might need to adjust the feed rate slider inside the hopper to open it up some more. It ships factory at a very low setting and it great for most fuels. I would open it up half way and see how it burns. There are directions for adjusting it in the manual.

jtp10181 said:
There is no "timing" on the Castile, unless hes talking about the dial on the Control board which only has two settings and it could never really be "wrong".

You might need to adjust the feed rate slider inside the hopper to open it up some more. It ships factory at a very low setting and it great for most fuels. I would open it up half way and see how it burns. There are directions for adjusting it in the manual.
Yup.....post #6.

Hi
Well I tried new pellets and that didn't do anything. I guess the service guy called quadra fire and they gave him a few more things to look at. He is coming over on Sunday (yeah..on a Sunday!) he said that there was some gasket missing so maybe that is it. We'll see I guess!!

mntgirl said:
Hi
Well I tried new pellets and that didn't do anything. I guess the service guy called quadra fire and they gave him a few more things to look at. He is coming over on Sunday (yeah..on a Sunday!) he said that there was some gasket missing so maybe that is it. We'll see I guess!!
Fantastic. Quadrafire has good tech support. My tech came out on the last call for a saturday. They may be busy but not uncaring.

Gasket? Could be the door gasket or firepot gasket. Good thing to check in this case.

I am waiting with baited breath. this is the unit I am looking at.

I have had the Quad Castille since Jan. 8th of this year....absolutely love it so dont get discouraged with it. Very easy to operate. My guess would have been the feed adjustment inside the hopper, then see if any of the air flow holes in the burnpot were blocked. And then the gaskets as your tech has already advised. This stove has been flawless with me so be patient a little bit more. As long as the Tech is continueing to help. I would have also changed pellets as you already have... Flame is suppose to be approx. 4" above the firepot when on high....so on low the flame will be low. How is the heat output with the flame you have now?

AwsumSS said:
I have had the Quad Castille since Jan. 8th of this year....absolutely love it so dont get discouraged with it. Very easy to operate. My guess would have been the feed adjustment inside the hopper, then see if any of the air flow holes in the burnpot were blocked. And then the gaskets as your tech has already advised. This stove has been flawless with me so be patient a little bit more. As long as the Tech is continueing to help. I would have also changed pellets as you already have... Flame is suppose to be approx. 4" above the firepot when on high....so on low the flame will be low. How is the heat output with the flame you have now?
On her OP she said the stove was on high all night and the living room still wasnt above 68deg.

The control box on the castille is also used on other stoves and might be set for the wrong stove have your installer check were it is set

Hi
Well the saga continues. The tech came out on Sunday as was there all day! He took everything apart. The nite he left it worked ok... then the next night and every night since it has either run all night and gotten to 62 or so..or, like last night it ran till 4 or so and shut off. I then had to manually reset the thermostat and it was 59 in the house when I got up. I have decided to get something else! The place I got it said they'll get me a 2007 Mahogony Mt Vernon AE for $2950. Or I can get the floor model black one for $2550. I called a couple other places and the price seems good...even though they aren't going to give me much for my trouble. I am concerned about the AE though because I have heard (and read) they there have been a lot of troubles with the 07 models? One store has some 06 Mt Vernons (not AE)...for 2500. I am wondering if I should try the Mt Vernon and not the AE? Also it seems that the Mt Vernon and Castile don't have as high of a flame on high setting as, say the Harman? Is that normal?
Thanks!

also
I spoke to the dealer....after all of this they would not even comp me any free pellets....is that normal? They say that I need to go to the manufacturer for any Comps of any kind....although they are willing to offer me 15% off of a new AE. (Prices above). Also they will not come and get the castile...I am responsible for taking it back and picking up the new AE. Does this sound pretty standard, or is this dealer unreasonable after all of the trouble I have had?
Thanks!
The AEs they are selling do have the new wall control and boards......

If you are an unhappy customer, and they have good customer service, they should come get the stove and bring the new one in my opinion (and more importantly maintain a customer!). BTW, I love my Castile, it heats my entire house just fine, third year now and I've put over 15 tons of corn and pellet (and a few other things) thru it with very little problems. Sorry to hear of your issues, get what works for you because if you don't have confidence in your stove, you will not be happy.

GotzTheHotz said:
If you are an unhappy customer,
and they have good customer service, they should come get the stove and bring
the new one in my opinion (and more importantly maintain a customer!).

I agree 100% with that! I'd calmly make my expectations
clear to them if they wanted to keep me as a customer.

Hi
Well I finally have heat! I got the Mt Vernon AE. I am happy with the new thermostat , the bigger hopper and the huge flame....not to mention the heat! it is so much warmer than with the Castile. I do wish I could have gotten mahogany though....I so loved that color but it was just too expensive. I got the revisions for the board and am waiting for the new revision for the wall unit. I have heard that as long as you get the new revisions it is a great unit. Thanks for all of your input on the Castile!

Glad to see people are putting their faith back into the Mt Vernon AE. It really is a great stove when its running good. We have had very good luck in our area with no major problems. All satisfied AE customers as far as I know. That is really odd about the Castile not working, it is a very simple stove. Its possible it was just undersized for the space and you were expecting too much out of it? I don't see how there could be so much wrong with such a simple unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.