Problems making flue connect with stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked at the pics again. If that is double wall, it is upside down. That outside crimp goes up. The bottom end will have the inner liner crimped to go in the stove or stove adapter.
I love a happy ending tfd you are right, not sure about anyone else I was looking like it was single wall.:)

Yeah, I really feel dumb. I don't know why I didn't see it first thing looking a the pics. He clearly has Selkirk double wall and the section he is trying to put into the stove is upside down for sure. It should have directional arrows on it but they may have fallen off. Double wall can be confusing because the outside crimps are opposite the inside crimps. Sure hope he has not screwed it up trying to crimp it. Many stoves still take a stove adapter and Selkirk makes one for their double wall to accommodate cast, thick walled stove outlets. Here it is stove adapter.jpg It is pointing up and their is a crimped inner sleeve on the bottom to go into the stove top outlet.

I appreciate all the help, this is by far the best source of information for wood stoves on the Internet (I know I said it already but it's the truth)

Are you suppose to use furnace cement on the connection or just when it's needed because of a faulty connection/gap?

Always if you want a good seal and nothing watering down the draft. Some do it. Some don't. The gospel according me is to do it.

Reactions: tfdchief
Are you suppose to use furnace cement on the connection or just when it's needed because of a faulty connection/gap?
pfeels, You are welcome and sorry it took so long for me to figure out what the problem was. I used this since the inside crimped part of the stove adapter did not fit my cast stove outlet very well.
yhst-95622685483394_2201_503756635.gif

Ok, great, thanks for the heads up. I try to do it as safe as possible and this is just for where the pipe meets the stove, you don't use this at all of the connections or do you, like where the 90 meets the straight pipe?

And T, no big deal, thanks for figuring out what the problem was, I was really baffled and I sent along the answer to the stove manufacture who got back to me and said they never knew that and would let their customer service know.

And Bart and D thx also ...

Flue configuration and connections can be a real pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.