Processing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deck2

Burning Hunk
Aug 1, 2008
Adirondack Foothills, NY
I bought a load of logs about 8cords-hard maple mostly and I haven't had a chance to buck them up and split them they are going to be for 2010-11 (this years wood has been split since January) well a friend of mine just bought a processor and I was talking to him about my tri-axle load a few weeks ago and he called me this morning and said he will be over tomorrow AM to take care of my logs!! I will post pics as soon as he is done-which he estimated about 3+/- Hrs., I would have spent more time than that just sharpening chains and fueling up the saw to buck up.

3 1/2 hrs 8 cords SWEEEEET!

deck2 said:
he estimated about 3+/- Hrs., I would have spent more time than that just sharpening chains and fueling up the saw to buck up.
You must need a new file and gas can or else you exaggerate. I may have spent 20 minutes tops on those tasks. Now, the other tasks are an entirely different matter.

Please get some pictures!

Yes....pictures and/or video are required...share with us!!

You only spend 20 mins on sharping and fueling to buck up over 8 full cords wow must be doing something wrong when I am sharping my chain! I tend to sharpen w/every tank of fuel and I use more than one tank--maybe 8-10 or more to cut that amount of wood!!! So yah I do spend all of 3 hrs to sharpen/refuel/clean the saw. Not to mention the time need to haul the splitter out..... ah forget it. I don't need to explain it!!

deck2 said:
You only spend 20 mins on sharping and fueling to buck up over 8 full cords wow must be doing something wrong when I am sharping my chain! I tend to sharpen w/every tank of fuel and I use more than one tank--maybe 8-10 or more to cut that amount of wood!!! So yah I do spend all of 3 hrs to sharpen/refuel/clean the saw. Not to mention the time need to haul the splitter out..... ah forget it. I don't need to explain it!!

Holy moly you sharpen a lot. I run full chisel chain, keep it out of the dirt, and I only sharpen it every 5 or 6 tanks usually. I can't even notice the chain dulling after 2 or 3 tanks and for sure not every tank...maybe I'm cutting like a sissy? ha

I filed my chain twice to buck up 12 full cord, none of this face cord stuff.

Here are some pics of the machine working and the pile it is working on!

Attachments

• split wood 001.jpg
    split wood 001.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 814
I'd like to know how one keeps the chain "out of the dirt'? I was cutting the last couple of weeks, just to clean a new place for next years wood, fell a couple of trees, cleaned them up (getting into the dirt). How do you get the branches off, and cut it into 24" lengths without getting into dirt?

I was also cutting a new path to a new area to cut, and I cut a few trees down, started cutting one up, and hit a old piece of wire fence (ruined that chain, glad it was an old one).

I cut for 4 or 5 hours, ruined 1 chain and sharpened another one once, although it is ready to be sharpened again (again, dirt). Just not sure how people stay out of the dirt.

I do have a full chisel chain, but never put it on because I know it will really dull it in the dirt, and I have so few opportunities to cut when I will not get into the dirt.

stee6043 said:
deck2 said:

Holy moly you sharpen a lot. I run full chisel chain, keep it out of the dirt, and I only sharpen it every 5 or 6 tanks usually. I can't even notice the chain dulling after 2 or 3 tanks and for sure not every tank...maybe I'm cutting like a sissy? ha

Unless you are cutting somewhere that has never been farmed or built near, you are going to hit wire, nails, rebar, etc. That is why a lot of mills wont even take logs unless they are from the woods. I use new chains for logs I am 99% sure are clear and then after they have been sharpened a few times go into the stock that gets used for those higher risk areas.

Try a peavey to get the wood off the ground and keep the bar out of the dirt.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_34396_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Sorry had to run before I could post all of the pics
here are a few more

Attachments

• split wood 001.jpg
    split wood 001.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 659
  • split wood 004.jpg
    split wood 004.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 692
  • split wood 008.jpg
    split wood 008.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 689
  • split wood 007.jpg
    split wood 007.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 684
Nice pile of sawdust...4-way wedge?

I like the processors that don't make sawdust but rather buck the wood with a guillotine. It's amazing how much of my wood ends up as sawdust. Between the sawdust and the shrinkage, I lose more than 10%. I hate it when people can buy seasoned wood cut, split, and delivered for the same price I pay for logs.

LLigetfa said:
I like the processors that don't make sawdust but rather buck the wood with a guillotine. It's amazing how much of my wood ends up as sawdust. Between the sawdust and the shrinkage, I lose more than 10%. I hate it when people can buy seasoned wood cut, split, and delivered for the same price I pay for logs.

I have less than $100 cord into this wood (the tri-axel load and the processing) and I havent had to touch the wood yet!!

I just cant see a guillotine choping a 16inch oak or hard maple log in two!

That is a nice machine and makes firewood mighty fast.

Mike, watch for a PM.

deck2 said:
I don't need to explain it!!

You sure don't. Sounds like a reasonable amount of time here in the real world. :coolsmirk:

deck2 said:
I have less than $100 cord into this wood (the tri-axel load and the processing) and I havent had to touch the wood yet!!

That's sweet. It's nice to have friends with equipment like that. Is firewood his primary business?

no-- he owns a local snowmoblie and ATV dealer and heats the place with a woodboiler after bucking and spliting around 10 cords last year he bought this machine! I think he will be processing for a fee when he gets a chance, and I think I was his first customer with this machine.

How long did it take to process your truckload? I assume that with the 4-way you are going to have to resplit?

So the cord an hour they advertise with that processor is actually a reasonable number.

Status
Not open for further replies.