Progress Hybrid Officially Approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chopernator said:
So what is the "required" R value for the Progress Hybrid A.K.A Firestorm lol.
Because I have just finished my hearthpad lastnight well just about still have to do the grout 66" x 66".
My current R rating is .435 thats durrock, mortar and 1/4" tile. Anybody know? thanks.

If you haven't read the blog already, http://woodstocksoapstoneco.blogspot.com/ you can find the information on a material's R value there.

"Reduced R-value & front hearth clearances: Front hearth clearances can be reduced to 8â€, and the hearth R-value can be reduced to 0.40, with the installation of an optional 3.5†deep cast iron radiation shield/ash lip (outlined in red above). We had additional UL test conducted with the radiation shield in order to facilitate installations on hearths with R-values of 0.40 to 0.80 (typically 1/2†cementboard or equivalent, covered with 1/4†stone or tile). These hearths were recommended for decades by various manufacturers in the hearth industry. We are having these new shields cast on an expedited basis and expect to have them in approximately 3 weeks. We will post a picture of the design on Monday."

It would be great if they could post a PDF of the manual in the documents section. I prefer to build according to published specs.

BG, I'll put in that request to Woodstock.

Thanks Dennis. I'll do the same.

PassionForFire&Water; said:
What's are the EPA emissions in gr/Hr for this Hybrid?

No idea. They haven't listed much, yet.

Well I finally got home and set the stove up. Those of you that have seen the stove at the open house will notice that they changed the by-pass control on the front of the stove. They had to redesign the mechanism because it stuck at high temperatures during the EPA testing.

They made a couple of other changes also.

The secondaries aren't going in the pictures.... I wanted to post and relax as soon as possible.

Attachments

• Progress Hybrid Officially Approved
    IMG_20111125_204108.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,415
    IMG_20111125_193505.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,429
    IMG_20111125_204115.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,424
Nice!

Looks really good. Is that serial # 00001? Didn't they add an ashlip extension to the front or is that optional?

BeGreen said:
Looks good. Is that serial # 00001? Didn't they add an ashlip extension to the front or is that optional?

It's an option to reduce front clearances from 16" to 8".

BeGreen said:
Looks really good. Is that serial # 00001? Didn't they add an ashlip extension to the front or is that optional?

The ash lip isn't ready yet. I may add it just for looks, I haven't decided yet. I'm not sure of the serial number I didn't look. But mine was the first one to leave the factory. The secondaries are going now! I'm seasoning it at a low temp. It will be nice when I can get it cruising.

A star is born. Maybe.

Awesome stove DP congrats! Look forward to hearing about your experiences, pics and videos!!

Ray

I subscribed here to see how this is going to perform. Commence drooling. Looks good DP.

Thanks dpgoalie. Stove looks great. Will be waiting to hear more.

The damper handle looks like a small piece of 1 x 1 wood. Is it properly finished and does it look quality.

Hey kochis, welcome to the forum.

kochis said:
The damper handle looks like a small piece of 1 x 1 wood. Is it properly finished and does it look quality.

The handle is brass and it doesn't match the stainless door handle. I told Tom M. at the factory that I didn't like it. It's hex shaped and looks very industrial. But now that it's home, I like the brass color with the rest of the stove better then the stainless but it still looks industrial. It's actually 3 1/4" long. I wish the handles were the same color and matched.

Thank you. We have a Woodstock Keystone and have been woodstove users for almost 30 years.
I split all of my own wood with a Monster Maul (5-6 cords per season) and love it all.
I'm looking forward to receiving our Progress stove.

How is the stove performing for you? Do you have to go thru a burn-in procedure? Does the glass stay nice and clean and do you get the promised 16 hour slow burn time?

kochis said:
How is the stove performing for you? Do you have to go thru a burn-in procedure? Does the glass stay nice and clean and do you get the promised 16 hour slow burn time?

Seasoning the stove took 1.5 days of burning at about 250 stove top. The paint and mortar smelled and smoked a little bit but it wasn't overwhelming.? Glass stays very clean. Burn times are as advertised....i an probably get longet...

Sounds promising. Thank you for the quick reply. Please post some more photos and videos when able.

Status
Not open for further replies.