Progress Hybrid Question - smoke - UPDATE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced my door gasket last night, that's some trick to get the door latched with a new gasket in there. Tonight at 6 is the end of the 24 hr curing period for the gasket cement. I hoping it's the cure for the smoke smell. The new gasket seemed to be a larger diameter than the one I removed, or the old one has just compressed and looks smaller. Probably mentioned before, but one must remove ALL of the old gasket cement to have any hope of getting that door closed and latched with the new gasket/cement. I used a old screwdiver blade and it chips/scraps out fairly easily.

Tim, another trick is to get the wire brush that fits into a drill as the size is great for the channels. Makes quick and easy work of removing the old cement.

3fordasho said:
Replaced my door gasket last night, that's some trick to get the door latched with a new gasket in there. Tonight at 6 is the end of the 24 hr curing period for the gasket cement. I hoping it's the cure for the smoke smell. The new gasket seemed to be a larger diameter than the one I removed, or the old one has just compressed and looks smaller. Probably mentioned before, but one must remove ALL of the old gasket cement to have any hope of getting that door closed and latched with the new gasket/cement. I used a old screwdiver blade and it chips/scraps out fairly easily.

Update:
New door gasket is definately a tighter seal, but the smoke smell remains unchanged. No smoke spillage ever on reloads, just a slight but irritating smoke /burnt wood smell after the stove is reloaded, cat engaged and air inlet cut back for a normal burn. I did receive and install the new three piece top last night but it's too warm outside to even fire up the progress. The fireview is handling all heating load for now. I doubt the three piece top will make any difference, in fact with more seams to seal it could add to the problem.. Guess it's time to call woodstock and see what we can do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.