Propane Tank Stratification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydronics

Feeling the Heat
Dec 3, 2008
Northern CT
Does anyone have measured temperatures (top & bottom) for a horizontal propane storage tank? I question how much stratification can be obtained in a 40" diameter tank especially as the tank supply and return approach the same temperature. If anyone has hard data on this it would be greatly appreciated.

I measure mine every day of the heating season, both tanks, top and bottom. My max from bottom bottom to top top is typically about 40-60 degrees on average days/weeks. Of course when you run long enough to get both tanks full of 180 degree water top to bottom you won't have much stratification. but once you start pulling heat out of storage that quickly changes...

Take a look at the three charts in Tank Heating

At the flow rates indicated very high stratification is achieved. Return from tank is from a diptube to the bottom of the tank about 1/4 of the way from one end of the tank. Supply to the tank is about 1 foot away from the diptube and injects hot water horizontally into the tank towards the opposite end of the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.