Public Land firewood for you Easterners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sending the paper work in this week

There is so much cut or downed free wood in the suburban area where I live that I pretty much never have to cut down trees. After a couple years at this, whether its roadside, homeowner, tree companies, or Craig's List the biggest problem I have is finding the time to get it all. It seems that suburbia generates lots more firewood than it uses. There's a guy here who lives in Queens, NY and he says that in NYC there's tons of easy scrounging, and I assume little competition.

In the state of PA, firewood permits are sold on 30 day permits for 1 cord...cost is $15 per cord. This is through the Bureau of Forestry and DCNR managed lands. Since there is an abundance of state forest land (not state game lands...totally different and managed for 2 different resources) it is fairly easy to get firewood in PA. Well as easy as cutting, splitting and stacking firewood can be. The state of PA is divided into 20 forest districts across the state and each districts firewood program is slightly different, but the one that I cut in allows you to cut dead and down as well as standing dead.

Here in WV one can obtain a firewood permit from the US Forest Service for down and dead timber. It is good for one calendar year, up to 5 cords based on the honor system and costs $20.

Backwoods Savage said:
We are blessed in Michigan with thousands of acres of both state and federal land. Many years ago I cut a goodly amount off of some state land and then you needed a permit from the DNR but it was free. You were allowed 10 cord but if you needed more, you just had to get another free permit. Now they do charge some but I don't know what the charge is. Used to be $10 and still allowed 10 cord.

You are supposed to take only the stuff that is down but I once got the blessing of the DNR and was allowed to cut a big area of standing maple that they wanted cut. I saved them lots of work and they helped to keep our home warm a couple of years.

Dennis, I just cut a cord or so while I was up hunting and the permit was 20 bucks and allows you to cut up to 5 cords.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_46403_46404-227804--,00.html

I live on the border of a state park up here in North Jersey (literally, the end of my property line is the start of the "hardwoods" section of the park). I called and asked them if I could cut dead trees that are already down, they told me that each year they have a program for $20 and you can cut all the dead trees you want. Problem is...they aren't doing it this year so I'm not "legally" allowed to cut up the downed trees that are in the park. However....they didn't say I couldn't get a few friends to help me drag them into my yard.

On the bright side, every spring the park police come around and look for dead trees that are leaning towards peoples houses. They send in climbers to cut down the dead trees and they leave the wood there. More free wood for me.....in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.