Quad Castile Shutting Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sesro1978

Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

My Quadrafire Castile insert has been shutting down after several hours of running. This only seemed to have started after switching from hardwood pellets to softwoods pellets (done just yesterday). The softwood seems to burn a bit hotter so I'm wondering if the stove may be over-firing or burning too hot and some sensor is shutting it down.

Resetting the stove and/or unplugging/plugging it back in does not seem to have any effect; it just stays in shut down mode

Just now, I let it sit for 10 minutes or so (stove thermo says it dropped about 50 degrees, from about 400f to 350f) and then threw a handful of pellets into the pot and viola, it started up again - dropping pellets as normal.

Is it possible that the stove is running too hot and something is tripping to shut it down? If this is the case, is there any fix (for example, if I adjust the feed gate so it doesn't drop as many pellets thus making the flame a bit smaller)?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Hi-

My Quadrafire Castile insert has been shutting down after several hours of running. This only seemed to have started after switching from hardwood pellets to softwoods pellets (done just yesterday). The softwood seems to burn a bit hotter so I'm wondering if the stove may be over-firing or burning too hot and some sensor is shutting it down.

Resetting the stove and/or unplugging/plugging it back in does not seem to have any effect; it just stays in shut down mode

Just now, I let it sit for 10 minutes or so (stove thermo says it dropped about 50 degrees, from about 400f to 350f) and then threw a handful of pellets into the pot and viola, it started up again - dropping pellets as normal.

Is it possible that the stove is running too hot and something is tripping to shut it down?

Thanks for any help!
Yes there is a high limit switch. Softwood will burn hotter. Also if the pellets are shorter more will fall in the hopper compared to longer ones. One of two things you can do: 1 turn the convection blower up to a higher speed. (Move the excess heat out of the exchanger) 2 turn down the feed trim so less pellets fall into the burn pot. Good luck

Last edited:
Your instruction manual clearly walks you through the procedure for setting the PROPER flame height. ANY TIME you change pellet brands, pellet length, or even different lots of the same pellets, you HAVE to readjust the feed gate and get the proper height flame. It's the ONLY adjustment on the stove.

That's what I suspected - thanks guys. The pellets are shorter so sounds like I'll need to empty out the hopper and adjust the feed gate.

WHAT???? HAVE YOU EVEN READ YOUR MANUAL??????????????????

You don't empty your hopper to adjust the feed gate!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, I have. No need to yell.

It's easier to adjust the feed gate (for me) if the hopper has fewer pellets in it.

I just couldn't believe what I was reading. You have to make small adjustments, wait 15 minutes to see the change, and then keep making adjustments until you get the height correct. You can't empty the hopper every time and if it's almost empty, then you might not get the correct amount of pellets into the auger area, which would give you a false reading. Oh, and you do this on HIGH. While you have your hopper empty, go in there, find those sheet metal screws holding the gate in place and loosen them up. You should be able to move it up and down with a full hopper no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.