Quadra Fire Mt Vernon Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rskryan

Dec 8, 2010
pennsylvania
Can anyone tell me what the best pellets are for burning in the quadra fire mt vernon insert. Just purchase last week and seems like it is going to take some time before I get all the settings to my comfort zone. Fire is erratic and dont know if it is stove operation or brand of pellets im using. When it first starts up and near finishing a cycle seems like the fire almost goes out then on again. I would think it would be more consistent. When in the middle of the heat cycle , more than a few degrees from set temp seems to fire and burn nicely. Would like to get longer more constant heat. Any One have 2 cents to add? Also i set temp differnce to minimum .5 so to get more constant heta but it still does not start up again until drops almost 3 degrees which is enough to feel cold again. I know i can just raise temp to get hotter but i am looking for less fluctuation.

It sounds like your settings are out of whack for your pellets- brand?

Like a regular fire, a pellet fire needs air and fuel to burn so those settings may be off. The AE burns everything well, but how you have the thermostat set tells it what to do. There are setting for different fuel types, flame height (feed rate) temp difference is the amount of drop before the stove kicks back on. Manual or auto mode- sounds like you are in manual but if you want it to be more consistent you should use auto- but the stove in auto then adjust the temperature you want the stove to hit up 2 degrees as the stove cycles down to low within 2 degrees of the desired temperature. In auto the stove only cleans based on the fuel setting and in the rare case it hits the temp.

You also should change you temp difference (I am not at my stove but I think that is what it is called) to 1 from 3 so you dont get the 3 degree drop.

Your flame height may need to be adjusted as well, the pellet type and brand impacts this.

I concur... What brand of pellets? What is your flame height adjustment set at? fuel type setting? Auto or manual? What temp are you set at? The temperature differential only controls the when the stove will restart after shutting down. I have mine set around 2 degrees, meaning it will drop another .5 to 1 degree before the heat totally kicks in again after the restart.

Sounds like you have it on Automatic. When the stove first starts up it will be in SS-Low and SS-Med for about 10 minutes. The falme will be weak at times. After this it run the normal Auto mode, which means the closer the to the set temp the stove is the less it feeds pellets. So it sounds like it riuns great while it is trying to get up to temp but as it gets closer to the temp it is set at it will drop the flame. In Auto this is normal. Try using the stove in Manual and then set it to the Heat Output you want L, ML (dont suggest either of those two), M, MH, or H. This will be a steady flame until it shuts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.