quadra fire wood stove backpuffing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lockett45

Oct 17, 2019
md
I have an older style quadra fire wood stove similar to to 4300 step up, my problem is at times, i get backpuffing of smoke into my room after opening the door, this happened last year mostly when starting the fire, but occasionally after the fire was rolling and refilling with wood. This past summer i replaced ceramic blanket and i started stove for the first time this year, i had a lot of backpuffing throughout the fire, although it heated the house much better than last year. It was windy yesterday ~20 mph winds, could the ceramic blanket prevented the smoke from traveling up the flue? the blanket could be bunched up and not completely flat. firewood is dry and Chimney is clean and 32 ft.

This is pretty rare unless the wood is not fully seasoned or the draft is weak. Is this a basement or lowest floor of the house install? What temperature are you running the stove at? Is the fire burning robustly or smoldering?

Reactions: bloyet03
Barely crack the door for a minute, then open it very slowly. If you just rip it open you'll get that nearly every time. Hold your phone up above the blanket and take a picture to see how the blanket is laying down if you are worried about it.