quadrafire castille that shakes rattles and howls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harrymowrey

Hearth Supporter
Mar 9, 2007
Hello,
1st time posting in this illustreous forum, dont worry not only did I misspell it I use the term loosly as well :>) anyway back to my question does anybody know of a fix for the quadrafires castille models assorted noises it produces when running ? especially the deep rumbling/howling when the flame is high. And the vibration noises are loud when the blower moter kicks on. I have tried felt under the feet and around the doors that helps a little. any other ideas? Other than that it is a nice stove I have had it in operation for a little over a year and no major complaints.

Yep, had the same problem. You can search this page for Castile and Howl, you'll find what others suggested in my case. Mine seemed to settle down a bit with use, I'm on my second year using it as primary heat. It still does the howl when it is really cranking, always during start up. It seems to depend on many factors, fuel, vent, even the wind blowing. It is definatly air flow oriented. I did have the combustion blower replaced this year, that seemed to help a bit. As far as other noises go, tracking them down is an art that takes time to figure out. My lid rattled a bit, fixed that by removing it and putting a light blob of high temp silicone on the ridges where it sits on the stove. I did not wait until fully cured, just a good skin on it so when placed back on the stove it would mold around the ridges but not stick. Worked great, fixed that rattle. The back side panels and fan cage are suspect, make sure things are tightened down. I guess the best advice would be to apply peasure to the various parts of the stove when the noise is happening, if it quits focus on that area. Currently I have an intermittant 'cricket', those are the worst! Good luck, B.

I have a Castile also and have gotten used to the howl and roar during startup and intermittent peak periods. I've seen many posts on this, and at this point I ignore it as it eventually falls into the background - much as the tick tock of an old wind up clock.

I liken the howl and roar to that of the Nat Gas utility company does when they see how little NG I am consuming.

I want to thank you for alerting me to the fact that there is a new fan and motor assembly that helps it. I contacted the store we purchased it at and seeing how it is still under warrintee they are going to order and install :>)

Thanks again
Harry Mowrey

harrymowrey said:
I want to thank you for alerting me to the fact that there is a new fan and motor assembly that helps it. I contacted the store we purchased it at and seeing how it is still under warrintee they are going to order and install :>)

Thanks again
Harry Mowrey

Score another one for hearth.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.