quadrafire Isle Royale questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalt

Oct 5, 2013
oklahoma
ok im new to this forum and have recently been looking into purchasing a new wood stove. I have a guy at work that is selling a quadra fire isle royale w/blower, used 2yrs been sitting in his garage the other 2yrs. So a 4yr old stove he is selling for $1300. Is this a good deal? Need a stove that can heat around 2000sq ft. and will run through existing chimney that is not currently in use, with a flue liner kit. thanks for any info.

We get this question a lot. The answer is yes, if and only if, it has not been abused. This is a great stove and a real nice looker. Did he say why it was removed from service?

The stove will certainly do the job, it is a very good heater.

Last edited:
he moved into another home and had no use for it. Ive seen it and its in good condition nothing alarming by no means. Seems high for a used stove so had me curious as to the quality!

Is it enameled or painted black? New the stove goes for about $2400 to 2600 I think. If so he is offering it at half price. This is a first rate heater with a good long track record. Tell us more about the area you are thinking of installing it in.

PS: Welcome to Hearth.com

It is a black cast iron. Thanks for the info, kinda of the push i needed to go ahead with it. Just needed an unbias opinion! He told me he spent $3300 out the door for the stove and blower.

The blower is not cheap. About $250 I think. Read up on the specs for the stove and make sure you can honor the clearance requirements. This is a serious heating machine.

Besides a safe install following the stove requirements the other essential ingredient is going to be well seasoned wood. Hopefully you have a good stash already. EPA stoves need dry wood to perform as advertised.

been working on that this yr so it wont be up and running full steam until next, unless i plan on purchasing some. Which isnt something i want to do! looks like the only install question is wether i can go into my chimney with a T then flue liner up thru chimney? The manual he has does not show this type of install. just shows a pipe coming in farther up the chimney? I have 2 options with the stove either top or back so im assuming this could be done?

That should work ok if the chimney is not too short. About how high is the chimney from the tee to the top?

No problem. You should do fine.

looks like the only install question is wether i can go into my chimney with a T then flue liner up thru chimney? The manual he has does not show this type of install.
That's what I did, sat in on the hearth, about flush with the fireplace opening, then a tee off the rear vent. They show the IR rear-vented in Section 3 of the online manual. Looks like you need almost 30" fireplace opening height.

Dang i'll be about 5ft short of 30' hopefully all will still go ok. When you connected the piping did you use a high heat caulk to the connections or just fasten and go?

Dang i'll be about 5ft short of 30' hopefully all will still go ok. When you connected the piping did you use a high heat caulk to the connections or just fasten and go?
No, I meant that for rear-venting into a fireplace, you need about 30 inches to get the pipe under the fireplace lintel. :)
As far as chimney height, the IR doesn't need much draft...it's an easy breather. At 25' chimney height, you may want to install a key damper in the pipe in case you need to cut the draft.
Some folks like to seal all the joints, but I didn't. I have plenty of draft at 17'. If I sealed the joints, the exhaust would stay a little warmer and I might get a little less when I brush the chimney. I got enough to fill a 1.5 qt. saucepan after last season....

Last edited:
ahhh! ok ha. my plan is to go through existing chimney and use some durock to cover hole and add some tile or stone for backsplash. Something that will match or be the same as the hearth pad im gonna make. Thanks for info!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.