Quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gog222

Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
MD
Got a question ...what size gun brush should i use to clean the burn pot holes in a santa Fe and a castille?

thanks in advance!
Gary

Take your cleaned burnpot over to the gun shop where you buy the brushes, and find on that is slightly larger than the holes. I'm guessing in the neighborhood of .30 cal brush.

imacman said:
Take your cleaned burnpot over to the gun shop where you buy the brushes, and find on that is slightly larger than the holes. I'm guessing in the neighborhood of .30 cal brush.

Quads burnpots are bolted to the stove and If you remove them you might damage the gasket. May cause a sealing issue. FYI.

I was using a 3/16" and it was too small. I think you can get a 7/32" or 1/4" to go thru. Some of the guys and gals here are using drill bits as well(But go smaller first 3/16"). This works best on the tougher holes clogged with carbon. I don't think the 1/4" bit goes through the holes. I wanna say 7/32 max on the drill bit. It has been a while since I burned the quad and the memory is not as good as it used to be.

jtakeman said:
imacman said:

Quads burnpots are bolted to the stove and If you remove them you might damage the gasket. May cause a sealing issue. FYI.......

Oooops...I didn't know that....thanks for the "save" Jay..... :lol:

imacman said:
jtakeman said:
imacman said:

Quads burnpots are bolted to the stove and If you remove them you might damage the gasket. May cause a sealing issue. FYI.......

Oooops...I didn't know that....thanks for the "save" Jay..... :lol:

NP pete, You saved my bacon more than once!

You're supposed to clean 'em ? :-/

I have burned through 10 tons in my CB1200 and never saw any need to clean the pot holes...

cncpro said:
You're supposed to clean 'em ? :-/

I have burned through 10 tons in my CB1200 and never saw any need to clean the pot holes...

u kidding?.....wow..!!

I clean the holes in the pot of my santa fe about every 4 days or so, quick and easy though, just making sure the holes are not plugged, that's all.

I clean the pot holes in my AE occasionally.
although they never seem to need it.
mostly burn top quality softwoods.

gog222 said:
Got a question ...what size gun brush should i use to clean the burn pot holes in a santa Fe and a castille?

thanks in advance!
Gary

A .38 caliber for the big holes and a .30 for the smaller ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.