Quality of Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cielomelo

Oct 19, 2007
north shore,ma
Hi All,

Just wanted to know if anybody could tell me if Pennington Seed Pellets are good pellets and if they are comparable to Lignetics? Any input much appreciated. Thank you!

cielomelo said:
Hi All,

Just wanted to know if anybody could tell me if Pennington Seed Pellets are good pellets and if they are comparable to Lignetics? Any input much appreciated. Thank you!

No and No.
Toss the Pennington's and go with the Lignetics. They are better in every facet.

SparkyDog said:
cielomelo said:
Hi All,

No and No.
Toss the Pennington's and go with the Lignetics. They are better in every facet.

I agree!!!

Im stuck with 3 tons of them. But so far they have been ok. Ive heard they were working on the problems....???

Finally found Lignetics. The local Tru Value has a bunch but they must be smoking something as the price is $349/ton. I plan to pick up a couple of bags and see how they burn and then find another source although I have two tons of Fire Side Premiums and also bought five bags of the Pennington's to see how they burn. I know there was a problem last year but the reviews for the 2008 pellets seem to be much better.

Search the board there has been a lot of disscussion on both. I have a ton of both. I have only burned the penningtons. They seem to have about a cup of fines at the bottom of the bags. I use a noodle strainer to shift through the last 1/4 of the bag. The pennington were $260 in August from a local hardware store. Then walmart sold penningtons for $5 bag in september.

Also check pelletsales.com the have a pellet comparison sheet on there web site.

$290 a ton is the price for lignetics at the tractor supply place about 30 miles from my house.

cielomelo said:
Hi All,

If both are selling for the same price, I would recommend going with the Lignetics. They have nothing but good reviews on here from what I've read, and I bought 3 tons of them to go along with the NEWP I already had. I am presently burning only the Lignetics, and have had great results....low ash, no clinkers, and only about 1/3 cup of fines from each bag.

The Pennington's may be OK too, but there have been some negative reviews in the past....IMO, stick w/ the Lignetcs.

I bought 3 tons of the Pennington's from HD as they received them in August. Lots of fines but they burn OK and Ash seems Ok but I'm new to this so I'm not sure waht too much ash is like. I contacted Pennington and sent them samples, they are investigating. We suspect they are last years batch since there was no date code on the bags and may have been sitting in an HD Distribution Center. For now with advice from this board, I'm just shaking the bags and holding back some at the bottom of the bag. This has helped alot. I'm also cleaning the hopper out after a few bags at a time to vacuum out the fines in the augur. This has helped also. If I spot another brand in my travels I'll buy them so I have a better comparison for myself.

geek said:
$290 a ton is the price for lignetics at the tractor supply place about 30 miles from my house.

what tractor supply place , I would like to try a ton them

Walmart Pennington are now $5.75 a bag, up from $4.94 one week ago.

$5.88 today at Sam's Club in Augusta. When they were cheaper, they were gone to just a few as soon as the store opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.