quardafire pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kencarlucci

Feb 4, 2013
An older mt vernon model, has almost all working components replaced at over time.Now has a problem with pellets backing up, smothering the fire, than igniting, blowing smoke and spark.
has newer air valve. Any solution ? yet to find one.:mad:

Clean the pellet chute and the hopper lately? Sounds like a clog. More details would be handy.

When was the last time all internal passages were cleaned out and the vent and cap was cleaned?

Also, check door gasket to see if it passes the Dollar bill test (open door, insert dollar bill between the door and gasket surface area, then close door and try to remove dollar bill. Do this in 2-3 spots per side (8-12 spots around door) and the bill shouldn't remove easily. There should either be resistance or it wont move at all.

A leaky gasket or a plugeed/dirty stove wilo cause pellet build up problems (lack of air)

Also, what is this "Air Valve" you speak of??

When was the last time all internal passages were cleaned out and the vent and cap was cleaned?

Also, check door gasket to see if it passes the Dollar bill test (open door, insert dollar bill between the door and gasket surface area, then close door and try to remove dollar bill. Do this in 2-3 spots per side (8-12 spots around door) and the bill shouldn't remove easily. There should either be resistance or it wont move at all.

A leaky gasket or a plugeed/dirty stove wilo cause pellet build up problems (lack of air)

Also, what is this "Air Valve" you speak of??

I mean't a new vacuum switch, I thoroughly cleaned all the vent,and chute passages
. It had a weak flame,and an almost moist soot build up in firebox and on glass.
I haven't replaced the gasket yet, but i will. I did wonder if the exhaust blower may be weakening. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.